QFT Classical string intro

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for a classical string model in QFT, which is formed from the Lagrangian. The Lagrange formulation gives a first-order potential term and a second-order term for the equations of motion. The conversation also touches on the process of taking derivatives and the use of the Kronecker delta in simplifying the equations.
Phymath

Homework Statement

I'm starting QFT and many books I've started to read start with the introduction of a field in a classical string model

with a Lagrange equation

[tex]L(q,\dot{q}) = \sum[\frac{m}{2}\dot{q}_{j}^{2}-\frac{k}{2}(q_{j}-q_{j+1})^{2}][/tex]

the equation of motion becomes

[tex]m \ddot{q_j}-k(q_{j+1}-2q_j + q_{j-1}) = 0[/tex]

my question is how do we get this equation of motion its a discrete derivative but I recognize this as the 3 point second derivative formula, but Lagrange formulation is only first order for the potential part

[tex]f'' = \frac{f(x+h)-2f(x)+f(x-h)}{h^2}[/tex]

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you remember from classical mechanics, the equations of motion formed from the Lagrangian will always give you [itex]n[/itex] second order differential equations for a system with [itex]n[/itex] degrees of freedom.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_i}\right) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}[/tex]

I agree with you on that however the second order only appears on the

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}) [/tex]

the potential term is only first order so how do I evaluate

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}[/tex] to give

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}(-\frac{k}{2}(q_{j}-q_{j+1})^{2}) = k(q_{j+1}-2q_j + q_{j-1})
[/tex]

Phymath said:
how do I evaluate

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}[/tex] to give

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}(-\frac{k}{2}(q_{j}-q_{j+1})^{2}) = k(q_{j+1}-2q_j + q_{j-1})
[/tex]

What do you get for

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}[/tex]

when

[tex]
L = \sum_j \left[\frac{m}{2}\dot{q}_{j}^{2}-\frac{k}{2} \left(q_{j}-q_{j+1} \right)^{2} \right] ?
[/tex]

i don't know that's exactly what I'm asking...

[tex]

\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_j} = -k(q_j-q_{j+1}) (1-\frac{\partial}{\partial q_j}q_{j+1})

[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two terms that have [tex]q_j[/tex] in them because of the sum. You are taking the derivative of:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}(-\frac{k}{2}(q_{j}-q_{j+1})^{2}-\frac{k}{2}(q_{j-1}-q_{j})^{2})\equiv -k(q_{j}-q_{j+1})+k(q_{j-1}-q_{j}) \equiv k(q_{j-1}-2q_{j}+q_{j+1})[/tex].
I hope that helps

Phymath said:
i don't know that's exactly what I'm asking...

[tex]

\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_j} = -k(q_j-q_{j+1}) (1-\frac{\partial}{\partial q_j}q_{j+1})

[/tex]

Careful; in my post the derivative was with respect to [itex]i[/itex] and the sum is over [itex]j[/itex]. Let me expand on what badphysicist wrote. Use

[tex]\frac{\partial q_j}{\partial q_i} = \delta_{ij}.[/tex]

For example, [itex] \partial x / \partial x = 1[/itex] and [itex] \partial y / \partial x = 0.[/itex]

After differentiating, there is still a sum over [itex]j[/itex], i.e.,

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} \sum_j = \sum_j \frac{\partial}{\partial q_i},[/tex]

but, because of the [itex]\delta[/itex]'s, all but a few terms will be zero.

Oh yeah, I see the typo I made. Here's the corrected version..
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}(-\frac{k}{2}(q_{i}-q_{i+1})^{2}-\frac{k}{2}(q_{i-1}-q_{i})^{2})\equiv -k(q_{i}-q_{i+1})+k(q_{i-1}-q_{j}) \equiv k(q_{i-1}-2q_{i}+q_{i+1})[/tex]

thanks that definitely helps I didn't think of the sum thanks again

1. What is QFT Classical string intro?

QFT Classical string intro refers to the application of quantum field theory (QFT) principles to the study of the behavior of classical strings, which are one-dimensional objects that can vibrate and move through space and time. This approach allows for a better understanding of the fundamental properties and dynamics of strings and their interactions with other particles.

2. How does QFT Classical string intro differ from traditional string theory?

Traditional string theory is based on classical mechanics, while QFT Classical string intro incorporates quantum mechanics. This means that in addition to considering the string as a physical object, it also takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum particles and their interactions.

3. What are the main applications of QFT Classical string intro?

QFT Classical string intro has a wide range of applications, including the study of black holes, cosmology, and the behavior of particles in extreme conditions such as high energies or strong gravitational fields. It also has implications for the development of a unified theory of physics.

4. What are some challenges in applying QFT Classical string intro?

One of the main challenges in QFT Classical string intro is the mathematical complexity involved in modeling the interactions between strings and other particles. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and can be difficult to visualize or test experimentally.

5. What are potential future developments in QFT Classical string intro?

Researchers are currently exploring the possibility of extending QFT Classical string intro to include other dimensions and types of strings, as well as incorporating it into other areas of physics such as condensed matter and quantum gravity. There is also ongoing research into the practical applications of this theory, such as in the development of new materials or technologies.