1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT index question

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm learning QFT and trying to do a basic problem finding the equations of motion from the Euler-Lagrange equation given a lagrangian.

The lagrangian is in terms of:
    [tex]F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}[/tex]

so then my issue comes in with this part of the Euler-Lagrange equation:
    [tex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi)}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now, I'm not sure if I am supposed to treat this as two separate fields or not. My first attempt to solve this I made a change of index from [itex]\mu\rightarrow\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\nu\rightarrow\gamma[/itex] in the Euler-Lagrange equation so that I got terms that look something similar to:
    (there's more terms and factors but I'm just showing the relevant part)
    [tex]\frac{\partial (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})}{\partial (\partial_{\lambda}A_{\gamma})}-\frac{\partial (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})}{\partial (\partial_{\lambda}A_{\gamma})}[/tex]
    This then results in delta functions which multiply the other factors in the equations and I get the final answer.

OR

Am I supposed to only change ONE index and treat [itex]A_{\mu}[/itex] and [itex]A_{\nu}[/itex] as separate fields, so that I would only do [itex]\mu\rightarrow\lambda[/itex] (again, only for the euler-lagrange equation)
    and get two equations with terms similar to:
    [tex]\frac{\partial (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})}{\partial (\partial_{\lambda}A_{\mu})}-\frac{\partial (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})}{\partial (\partial_{\lambda}A_{\mu})}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial (\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu})}{\partial (\partial_{\lambda}A_{\nu})}-\frac{\partial (\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu})}{\partial (\partial_{\lambda}A_{\nu})}[/tex]

NOTE: I did it the first way and the answer looks reasonable to me, but I just want to make sure my technique was correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should never have the same index in the differentiations, you need to adapt all indices so that the equations respect the correct covariance requirement

[tex] \left[\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\partial_{\sigma}A_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A_{\sigma}}{\partial\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}\right)\right] F^{\sigma\lambda} [/tex]

So you can see that:
    * the free index is [itex] \nu [/itex]
    * "fractions" corresponding to differentiations do not mix indices
    * no index appears more than twice, twice iff summed over.

There's something wrong with the LaTex code...Hmmmmm...

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    [tex]\left[\partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\partial_{\sigma}A_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A_{\sigma}}{\partial \left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}\right)\right] F^{\sigma\lambda}[/tex]

:smile:

5. Sep 15, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I missed an operator.

[tex]\left[\partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\partial\left(\partial_{\sigma}A_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A_{\sigma}\right)}{\partial \left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}\right)\right] F^{\sigma\lambda}[/tex]

Now the \lambda is not correctly parsed...

6. Sep 15, 2012 #5
    [tex]\left[\partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\partial \left( \partial_{\sigma}A_{\lambda} -\partial_{\lambda}A_{\sigma}\right)}{\partial \left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}\right)\right] F^{\sigma\lambda}[/tex]

Problem seems to be that the bb software is fond of inserting spaces in inappropriate places in order to break up long space-less lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook