1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qft intro book

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    I was wondering what to read for quantum field theory and in what order if applicable: I have "qft in a nutshell" by zee, "intro to qft" by peskin, "qft" by rydern, and "advanced qft" by sakurai.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

note: advanced QM by sakurai is an older book which uses the so called "sakurai" notation or ict notation for the flat metric. Both Zee and Peskin are great books. I personally don't know too much about Ryder. Another good book is by Mandl & Shaw. Most of these books assume some knowledge on classical field theory, Lagrangian formulation of CM, variational calculus etc. you can learn/revise these using eg. Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, Poole & safko.

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    i forgot to mention that to assume i have a good backgroung in those subjects.

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Zee's book is the kind of book that is meant more towards understanding of the subject rather than purely developing the computational power. At least when it comes to the introductory level. Zee's book plus the first 2 volumes of Weinberg's book are my receipt for a successful experience with QFT.

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    wouldn't ryder's qft book be also another good book because it also has a the background info too?

8. Sep 24, 2007 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ryder's book is good, too. It has a very well written introduction, but Zee is my take for a beginner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?