• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Qft intro book

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
I was wondering what to read for quantum field theory and in what order if applicable: I have "qft in a nutshell" by zee, "intro to qft" by peskin, "qft" by rydern, and "advanced qft" by sakurai.

mjsd

Homework Helper
note: advanced QM by sakurai is an older book which uses the so called "sakurai" notation or ict notation for the flat metric. Both Zee and Peskin are great books. I personally don't know too much about Ryder. Another good book is by Mandl & Shaw. Most of these books assume some knowledge on classical field theory, Lagrangian formulation of CM, variational calculus etc. you can learn/revise these using eg. Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, Poole & safko.

note: advanced QM by sakurai is an older book which uses the so called "sakurai" notation or ict notation for the flat metric. Both Zee and Peskin are great books. I personally don't know too much about Ryder. Another good book is by Mandl & Shaw. Most of these books assume some knowledge on classical field theory, Lagrangian formulation of CM, variational calculus etc. you can learn/revise these using eg. Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, Poole & safko.
i forgot to mention that to assume i have a good backgroung in those subjects.

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Zee's book is the kind of book that is meant more towards understanding of the subject rather than purely developing the computational power. At least when it comes to the introductory level. Zee's book plus the first 2 volumes of Weinberg's book are my receipt for a successful experience with QFT.

Zee's book is the kind of book that is meant more towards understanding of the subject rather than purely developing the computational power. At least when it comes to the introductory level. Zee's book plus the first 2 volumes of Weinberg's book are my receipt for a successful experience with QFT.
wouldn't ryder's qft book be also another good book because it also has a the background info too?

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Ryder's book is good, too. It has a very well written introduction, but Zee is my take for a beginner.