1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT lagrangian

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    I've been given the following lagrangian:

[tex]\mathcal{L}_{eff} = \bar{\psi}(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} - m)\psi - \frac{G}{4}(\bar{\psi}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\psi)[/tex]

where I have been told that the coefficient G is real and has mass dimension -2.
    I will eventually need to derive the feynman rules for this, but I just wanted to ask what exactly it is describing. the first part looks like the lagrangian for a dirac spinor, and i guess would contribute a propagator. what is the second term describing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2
    The second term is an interaction between four fermions (two fermions and two anti fermions). It will allow the fermions to scatter off each other (two incoming (anti-)fermions scattering and producing two outgoing (anti-)fermions can be generated by a four-point interaction like the one in this Lagrangian). Without interaction terms in the Lagrangian, We would have fermions that do not interact with each other. Easy, but not very interesting. Ultimately that Lagrangian turns out to be non-renormalizable but that's for you to find out later in your studies, I suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted