Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT poincare generator

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    Hi

I need to find the generators of the Poincare group in the representation of a clasical scalar field.
    Every text book I found let them as P and M. But any buk does not what are they.
    I'm wondering if any body help me to find this

Uda

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's some good stuff about the Poincaré group and its generators in Weinberg's QFT book (vol. 1, chapter 2) but he doesn't even mention fields until later in the book. It's still a good place to look if you want to know the meaning of the different generators. If you want to construct them explicitly from a field theory Lagrangian, you would use Noether's theorem (as you probably know). There should be some stuff about how to do this in most QFT books. Have you checked Peskin & Shroeder? (I don't know where mine is, so I can't check it myself).

4. Jul 11, 2008 #3
    Thanks Fredrik

I found another book "Quantum Field Theory From Operators to Path Integrals" by Kerson Huang. It has a good explanation about generators of the Poincare group.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?