QFT Source Function: What is J Physically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a source function J in quantum field theory and its physical representation. J is described as a force field that acts on the field phi, and the added term J\phi in the Lagrangian can be seen as particles traveling from one point to another. The purpose of using a source term is to calculate n-point functions and it is considered a mathematical trick. The book "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by Zee is mentioned as potentially confusing for beginners and other recommended books are suggested for a better understanding of the subject.
NanakiXIII
I just picked up a book on QFT and have already found myself stuck on something that appears to be quite elementary. When disturbing the field, the potential gets an added term with a source function [itex]J[/itex],

[tex]J(x, t) \phi(x).[/tex]

I'm not quite getting what [itex]J[/itex] physically represents. It 'describes how the field is being disturbed', but how exactly? Also, why is the added term necessarily linear in [itex]\phi[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you perhaps reading Zee's "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell"? I just started on QFT with that; here's how I see it:

Zee talks about a mattress with the displacement of the mattress at a point x in spacetime phi(x). Then imagine that J(x) is a force field that acts on the mattress. Then the potential energy of the mattress in this force field would be -J(x)phi(x). Potential energy appears with a minus sign in the Lagrangian, so we add J(x)phi(x) to get the new Lagrangian.

Students have sometimes told me that the whole 1st chapter by Zee confuses them, which I can understand as its very loose.

So I always recommend going back to classical field theory, where a similar thing happens without all the 'quantum' confusion.

Quantum field theory is really an example of the correspondance principle at play

First the mathematics: sources J are used in order to calculate n-point functions. That's why these source terms are linear in the field phi.

Diagrammatically you see that these source terms can be seen as "particles traveling from point x to point y" looking in coordinate space. This "traveling" is described by the propagator. That's the reason why peoply say that such a source term "disturbs the vacuum and introduces a source for a particle".

I don't like Zee's book as a starter precisely for the reason already made: it confuses more than it helps in understanding the quite difficult subject of quantum field theory (qft). It's fun to read if you already know quantum field theory from a more conventional source, where the concepts are worked out carefully.

A good book is, e.g., the textbook by Ryder or Bailin and Love. Also Peskin/Schroeder is quite useful, but sometimes a bit sloppy when it comes to the finer issues of renormalization and the renormalization group.

If you are a bit more familiar with qft from such introductory books, the best text-book source is Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields (2 volumes + 1 volume supersymmetric extensions) which derive the qft formalism very carefully and with much physical insight. Weinberg keeps his promise made in the preface to explain "why qft is the way it is". Just my 2 cts.

I'm indeed reading Zee's book and the first chapter so far has indeed been confusing, with the sections on Path Integrals being quite low on information and with his throwing Wick contractions at you seemingly at random in one of the appendices. This particular point really had me a little stuck, though, since Zee simply states it as "obvious".

So is [itex]J[/itex] really just a force field? If it is, it must be a forcefield that only acts perpendicularly to the mattress, right? I got the feeling Zee meant everything to happen perpendicularly to the mattress, but this isn't quite clear to me.

You might get a better understanding of the [tex]J\phi[/tex]-term by calculating the equations of motion. There you should see that in this sense, [tex]J[/tex] represents a current (external source).

It might get more clear if you coupled your theory to a electromagnetic field,
[tex]\mathcal L = \frac 12 D_{\mu}\phi D^{\mu}\phi - \frac 14F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} + J_{\mu}A^{\mu}[/tex]

where [tex]D = \partial_{\mu} - ieA_{\mu}[/tex] and [tex]F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}[/tex]. Here I have added a source term linear in the gauge field [tex]A_{\mu}[/tex] rather than [tex]\phi[/tex], since this is more familiar. Now calculate the equations of motion wrt. [tex]A_\mu[/tex]:

[tex]\partial_\nu \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial ( \partial_\nu A_\mu )} \right) - \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial A_\mu} = 0.[/tex]

You should get a term [tex]\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu}_{\mu}[/tex], which represents the Maxwells equations, a term depending on [tex]\phi[/tex] and a term which is just [tex]J_{\mu}[/tex]. This means that the gauge field [tex]A_{\mu}[/tex] can get disturbed by fluctuations of [tex]\phi[/tex] (which vanishes for a charge less field [tex]e=0[/tex]), and by [tex]J_{\mu}[/tex]. This is nothing but an (external) source as known from electromagnetism [tex]J_{\mu} = (\rho, \mathbf J)[/tex].

Similar terms added to other fields (whether it's scalar, spinor, vector...) , should be understood as generalization of this idea. More practically, a source term is rarely used as something physical in QFT. It's considered as a mathematical trick to calculate correlation functions, as haushofer mentioned.

1. What is a source function in quantum field theory (QFT)?

A source function in QFT is a mathematical object that describes the strength and location of a source of particles in a particular field. It is analogous to a charge density in classical electromagnetism.

2. How is the source function related to the Feynman propagator?

The source function is related to the Feynman propagator through the quantum action principle, which states that the propagator is the functional derivative of the action with respect to the source function. In other words, the Feynman propagator describes the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from a source to a detector.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the source function?

The physical interpretation of the source function is that it represents the probability amplitude for a particle to be created or destroyed at a particular point in space and time. It also determines the strength of the interaction between particles in the field.

4. How does the source function affect the behavior of particles in a quantum field?

The source function affects the behavior of particles in a quantum field by determining the probability of particle creation or annihilation at a given location. It also influences the interactions between particles, as the Feynman propagator is used to calculate scattering amplitudes and transition probabilities.

5. Can the source function be experimentally measured?

No, the source function cannot be directly measured in experiments. It is a mathematical construct used in theoretical calculations in QFT. However, the effects of the source function can be observed through measurements of particle interactions and scattering processes.