Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT summary

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    Hello Forum

Does anybody know of a good summary article or webpage that concisely and accurately outlines QFT (wikipedia's page is pretty bad)? I am not looking for a layman's guide but rather something suitable for a soon-to-be-student of QFT - something that can be read and understood in a day or two. I know it sounds like a tall order but I would not be at all surprised to find such a thing for regular QM.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello newbee! :smile:

hmm … you're right … that wikipedia article just goes on and on about quantum theory without really saying what QFT is! :yuck:

For a one-sentence summary: QFT is the technique of replacing annihilation and creation operators by annihilation and creation fields defined (much like Fourier transforms) over a whole space. :wink:

Since you have "a day or two", I think you should go for a book rather than a webpage.

I like Steven Weinberg's "Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume I" … (I assume you already know about basic quantum theory :wink:, so: ) go straight to Section 5.2 to find out what fields are, and then go back to Chapter 4. :smile:

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks Tiny Tim

It looks like there exists a niche for a short book, of say no more than 50 pages, explaining the fundamentals of QFT to grad students.

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 25, 2008 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  7. Oct 25, 2008 #6
    Excellent

Thanks all.

8. Nov 5, 2008 #7
    Hey guys. I just found what appears to very a very nice concise yet rigorous intro to QFT. It is chapter seven of "Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature: An Outline for Mathematicians" by Anthony Sudbery. It's only 45 pages! If you can find a copy then please tell me what you think of the book and more importantly what you think about chapter 7.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook