1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT text

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    i am having a big issue in deciding whether to read zee's qft in a nutshell book. peskin and schroeder's intro to qft, or ryder's qft book. I have heard the first chapter of zee's qft book is great but the other chapters get progressively worse because they are a general outline of the applications of qft. i am looking for a book out of these choices that is easy to understand and has good exercises to do. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2
    Ryder's book contains no exercises, It starts with SL(2,C) group (Lorentz group),
    It mainly focuses on functional integral methods.
    Zee's book have some exercises, and contains wider range of physics than the other two.
    Peskin and Schroder book seems to be the standard book in US graduate school, it contains exercises, and suitable for high-energy physics students.

4. Dec 16, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Many claims this to be the very best QFT intro book: http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html

Qft in a nutshell gives you more physical insight I've heard, but dont really show you the mathematical in its full glory.

Excersices: http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Book-Quantum-Field-Theory/dp/3540290621/ref=pd_sim_b_title_3

Also this book might contain excersises, many of the books in this series contains good examples and solutions for introductory purposes. http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Book-Quantum-Field-Theory/dp/3540290621/ref=pd_sim_b_title_3
    Altough it has not been released yet.

5. Dec 16, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Three texts i used in graduate school many years ago:

Aitcheson and Hey

Mandl & Shaw

Bjorken & Drell.

Now Bjorken and Drell is old, really old but it is a very good text to work thru.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. Dec 16, 2007 #5
    I own the Srednicki's book. I haven't went through all of it but it's very nice. Chapters are very short, concise, and are concluded with an exercise set. As a result there are hardly any solved problems. I really like this book.

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    Hoho, short chapters give a sense of success!
    In fact, there are many QFT classics:

Book by A. Zee; book by Peskin and Schroder, Book by Steven Weinberg
    Book by L. Ryder; Book by P Ramond, etc. etc. just name a few.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?