1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses QIT maths - for undergrad

1. Nov 5, 2017 #1
    Hi all at PF,
    Hoping to get some help selecting final year subjects. I am interested in QIT. At the moment, I'm planning to go to grad school for theoretical physics. However, i am also trying to have a backdoor into a masters of computer science as it is a more realistic career track - i am also quite interested in AI. I am not sure how easy this transition would be without taking discrete maths and algorithms from selection (1), but including these subjects would mean i miss out on the math major.
    Toss up is between:
    A) Physics major and math major
    B) Physics major with math minor and comp sci minor

Taken so far:
    First year
    Differential calculus
    Integral calculus
    Intro to stats
    Linear algebra
    Physics 1
    Physics 2
    Intro to programming - includes c and matlab

Second year
    Vector calculus
    2nd class on linear algebra - proof based
    Intro to PDE
    Real and complex analysis
    Statistical model
    Statistical tests
    Physics 2-1
    Physics 2-2

Planning to take:
    Third year
    Physics 3-1
    Physics 3-2
    Physics 3-3
    Physics 3-4
    PDE's
    Here is where i need suggestions for my last 3rd year subjects:
    1) Discrete maths or intro to algorithms and data structure or non linear ODE's or mathematical computing - (can choose 2 of the 4 but i would need to select both ODE's and math comp to finish a math major)
    2) Abstract algebra (2nd year) or theory of computation - (can choose 1 of the 2)

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted