Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM and String

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    Hello, I am new in this forum and I am not a scientist
    Can someone help me to understand the following question: does this String theory confute and negate the Observer Effect and that there is a subjective reality? Or it confirms it
    Thank you so much
    Rossella

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2
    Can Any One Answer My Question?

Dear Scientists
    Is there anyone who can answer to the following?
    Are you familiar with String theory?
    Does this theory negate or contradict the previous quantum mechanic theory of observation? (Copenhagen Interpretation and Observer's effect) , does observation still have a big roll in giving properties to Strings?
    Thank you so much
    Rossella

4. Mar 18, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

These posts have been moved from a thread in the QM forum to this forum, where I think it might get more attention from people who have the expertise to answer it.

Zz.

5. Mar 18, 2008 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Presumably quantum string theory (when it ever becomes a physical theory) will still lie within the broader domain of standard quantum mechanics and as such will not change the prediction of which you speak.

I would also make some qualifications in how you describe this effect.
    Let me emphasize that when we speak of "observation" in QM we necessarily mean physically interacting with the system. Most confusion about QM predictions arise when one makes assumptions about what is beyond what is physically observed.

When the wave function collapses we must understand the wave function as a mathematical object similar to a classical probability distribution. It's collapse is no different in principle from the collapse of the expectation values of lottery tickets once the drawing occurs. The assertion that new knowledge of a specific type is obtained about the system changes the distribution of possible subsequent behavior. Nothing physically "collapses".

Also "behaves like a particle" isn't quite right as you may still see single slit interference effects. Remember also that you never see the interference pattern of one particle. The pattern emerges when you repeat the experiment for many particles with the same setup. In all cases the particle "behaves like a particle" in the sense that you put one in and you get one out and it lands at a certain point on your film or whatever you use to detect it.

6. Mar 19, 2008 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?