Exploring the Observer Effect in the Double-Slit Experiment

In summary, the observer effect in the double-slit experiment refers to the phenomenon where observing a photon or electron going through the slits causes a collapse of the wave function, resulting in a particle-like behavior rather than an interference pattern. This has been tested experimentally and can be found in peer-reviewed physics journals. However, it is important to note that observation in quantum mechanics refers to physically interacting with the system, and the collapse of the wave function is simply a change in the distribution of possible outcomes. The concept of "behaving like a particle" is not entirely accurate, as single slit interference can still be observed and the interference pattern emerges when the experiment is repeated with many particles. The topic of string theory and its relationship to the
Rossella22
Dr.Todd said:
I keep seeing references to the observer effect in the double -slit experiment where the a
of observing the photon or electron going through the slits causes a collapse of the wave function. so, instead of getting a cool interference pattern, you get the pattern expected if the light was acting as a particle.

Has this actually been tested experimentally?

If so, I have not been able to find it anywhere.

If anyone can post a citation from a peer-reviewed physics journal where this phenomenon is reported, I would appreciate it.

thanks,

Dr. Todd
Hello, I am new in this forum and I am not a scientist
Can someone help me to understand the following question: does this String theory confute and negate the Observer Effect and that there is a subjective reality? Or it confirms it
Thank you so much
Rossella

Physics news on Phys.org
Can Any One Answer My Question?

Dear Scientists
Is there anyone who can answer to the following?
Are you familiar with String theory?
Does this theory negate or contradict the previous quantum mechanic theory of observation? (Copenhagen Interpretation and Observer's effect) , does observation still have a big roll in giving properties to Strings?
Thank you so much
Rossella

Dr.Todd said:
I keep seeing references to the observer effect in the double -slit experiment where the a
of observing the photon or electron going through the slits causes a collapse of the wave function. so, instead of getting a cool interference pattern, you get the pattern expected if the light was acting as a particle.

Has this actually been tested experimentally?

If so, I have not been able to find it anywhere.

If anyone can post a citation from a peer-reviewed physics journal where this phenomenon is reported, I would appreciate it.

thanks,

Dr. Todd

These posts have been moved from a thread in the QM forum to this forum, where I think it might get more attention from people who have the expertise to answer it.

Zz.

Presumably quantum string theory (when it ever becomes a physical theory) will still lie within the broader domain of standard quantum mechanics and as such will not change the prediction of which you speak.

I would also make some qualifications in how you describe this effect.
Let me emphasize that when we speak of "observation" in QM we necessarily mean physically interacting with the system. Most confusion about QM predictions arise when one makes assumptions about what is beyond what is physically observed.

When the wave function collapses we must understand the wave function as a mathematical object similar to a classical probability distribution. It's collapse is no different in principle from the collapse of the expectation values of lottery tickets once the drawing occurs. The assertion that new knowledge of a specific type is obtained about the system changes the distribution of possible subsequent behavior. Nothing physically "collapses".

Also "behaves like a particle" isn't quite right as you may still see single slit interference effects. Remember also that you never see the interference pattern of one particle. The pattern emerges when you repeat the experiment for many particles with the same setup. In all cases the particle "behaves like a particle" in the sense that you put one in and you get one out and it lands at a certain point on your film or whatever you use to detect it.

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves passing a beam of particles or waves through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the observer effect in the double-slit experiment?

The observer effect in the double-slit experiment refers to the phenomenon where the act of observation or measurement can influence the behavior of particles or waves. In this experiment, the observer's choice to observe the particles as either waves or particles can affect the outcome of the experiment.

3. How does the observer effect manifest in the double-slit experiment?

The observer effect manifests in the double-slit experiment when the presence of an observer or measurement device causes the particles or waves to behave differently. When the particles are observed, they behave like particles and create two distinct bands on the screen. However, when they are not observed, they behave like waves and create an interference pattern.

4. What is the significance of the observer effect in quantum mechanics?

The observer effect in quantum mechanics challenges our understanding of reality and the role of the observer in shaping it. It suggests that the act of observation can alter the behavior of particles or waves, which raises questions about the nature of reality and the limitations of our current scientific understanding.

5. How is the observer effect being studied and applied in other fields?

The observer effect has been studied in various fields, including psychology, sociology, and even economics. In these fields, it is referred to as the Hawthorne effect, where the presence of an observer or researcher can influence the behavior of study subjects. It is also being applied in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers, which rely on the manipulation of particles and their behavior through observation and measurement.