QM book for the GENERAL public

In summary, the conversation is about finding a popular science book on quantum mechanics that is accessible for the general public without heavy math. Suggestions include "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman, "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribbin, "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford and Diane Goldstein, and "Thirty Years that Shook Physics" by George Gamow. There was also a mention of a philosophy of physics book by Heisenberg.
farful
Hi, I'm looking for a popular science book on quantum mechanics. That is, a book for the general public without heavy math and other scary stuff for us stupid people.

I'm not looking for a textbook, so don't recommend Griffiths. I want a minimum level of math (if at all). The level I want would be like the equivalent of Barabasi's book on network theory, or any of Brian Greene's book, Dawkins for biology, Mitchell (maybe Lewin is easier)on complexity, etc.

Or is there sort of like a philosophy of QM book?

Anyone have suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/067401832X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Kenneth Ford and Diane Goldstein
https://www.amazon.com/dp/048624895X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by George Gamow
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521447712/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by George Gamow

I second the nomination of Richard Feynman's QED book. I don't think you can find two better physics writers than Feynman or Gamow. Both are unique, very clear, and quite funny. Plus, both men were part of the circle of physicists who founded quantum mechanics.

I know there is a philosophy of physics book by Heisenberg, but I don't really know anything about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact and behave, and has led to many technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and nuclear energy.

2. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand because it is based on complex mathematical equations and deals with concepts that are not directly observable in our everyday lives. However, there are many books and resources available that aim to explain quantum mechanics in simpler terms for the general public.

3. How does quantum mechanics affect our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics has had a huge impact on our daily lives through technologies such as computers, smartphones, and GPS systems. It also plays a role in medical imaging, solar energy, and cryptography. Additionally, many products, such as LED lights, are based on quantum mechanical principles.

4. Why is it important for the general public to understand quantum mechanics?

Understanding quantum mechanics can help us make informed decisions about the use of technology and its potential impacts on society. It also allows us to appreciate and marvel at the wonders of the universe, and encourages critical thinking and curiosity about the world around us.

5. Can anyone understand quantum mechanics?

While a deep understanding of quantum mechanics may require advanced mathematical and scientific knowledge, the basics of quantum mechanics can be understood by anyone with an interest in science and a willingness to learn. With the right resources and approach, anyone can gain a basic understanding of this fascinating field.