QM Books for Engineers: Best Intermediate Picks

In summary, the conversation is about finding good suggestions for books on Quantum Physics. The person asking is an Electrical Engineer with a background in math and physics, and is interested in both the theory and math behind QM. The suggested books are Townsend, Sakurai, Haroche and Raimond, and "Quantum Mechanics for Electrical Engineers". Another suggestion is the free book "Quantum Mechanics for Engineers".
amanno
Hey guys,

I love to read and learn about Quantum Physics and have been looking for good suggestions on books. I don't want a complete beginners book, I am an Electrical Engineer so I have a decent background in math and physics, by no means am I am expert. I love all the theory behind QM but I am also interested in the math.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for books that are maybe somewhere in between novice and advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mechanics for Electrical Engineers is a great new book. I've read the first few chapters for fun and it's good stuff, and a lot of MATLAB if you like that kind of thing. It isn't a "general" QM text because it focuses on the aspect of QM most relevant to semiconductors. I've also read the Sakurai text above it is is also excellent.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470874090.html

Likes amanno and bhobba

I would recommend the following books for engineers looking to delve deeper into Quantum Mechanics:

1. "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili - This book offers a comprehensive and intuitive approach to understanding the fundamentals of quantum mechanics. It covers both the theory and applications of QM, making it a great intermediate pick for engineers.

2. "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths - This book is a popular choice for students and professionals alike due to its clear explanations and practical examples. It also includes a section on mathematical foundations, making it a great choice for engineers.

3. "Quantum Mechanics for Engineers" by Leon van Dommelen - This book is specifically designed for engineers, providing a practical and intuitive approach to understanding the principles of quantum mechanics. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help reinforce concepts.

4. "Quantum Mechanics: An Accessible Introduction" by Robert Scherrer - This book is written in a conversational style, making it easy to follow for those with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics. It also includes a chapter on quantum computing, which may be of interest to engineers.

I hope these suggestions help you in your journey to learn more about quantum mechanics. Happy reading!

1. What is Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, specifically at the scale of atoms and subatomic particles. It provides a framework for understanding the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. Why should engineers study QM?

Engineers can benefit from studying QM because it provides a deeper understanding of the physical principles that govern the behavior of materials and systems at a microscopic level. This can lead to the development of new technologies and techniques that can improve the performance and efficiency of engineering designs.

3. What are some good intermediate QM books for engineers?

Some recommended intermediate QM books for engineers include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, "Quantum Mechanics for Engineers" by Masahito Ueda, and "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

4. How do these books differ from other QM books?

These books are specifically geared towards engineers, so they focus on the applications of QM in engineering fields such as materials science, electronics, and nanotechnology. They also assume some prior knowledge of physics and mathematics, making them more suitable for intermediate level readers.

5. Are these books suitable for self-study?

Yes, these books are suitable for self-study as they are written in a clear and concise manner, with many examples and exercises to help readers understand the concepts. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of physics and mathematics before diving into QM, as it can be a complex subject to grasp without prior knowledge.