What are some recommended books on QM for a beginner?

• Thread starter 108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses books on quantum mechanics for someone with a high school understanding of physics. The person mentions recommendations for "The Ghost in the Atom" by Davies and "Quantum Reality" by Nick Herbert. They also mention the limitations of Gribbin's cat book and their search for an easy introduction to QM. They plan to read Davies' book and potentially get Herbert's as well.
What are some books on QM for someone who has a High School understanding of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
On Gribbin's cat book: I read it a few weeks ago. I though it was good in parts, especially on the early history of QM, the double slit experiment, and the "many world interpretation" -- which Gribbin favoured at the time of writing. But I don't think he explains the Copenhagen interpretation very well -- I guess because he never liked it! Also he goes off the deep end close to the end, by trying explain QED in a few pages. He should have left that for another book, as his intended readership can only get confused, I feel. He has a great annotated bibliography that might give you pointers to other books. I'm now reading his "kittens" book, in which he favours the "transactional" interpretation. Again he's good on the history, this time going back to Ancient Greek and medieval Arab theories of light!

But having not been overly impressed with Gribbin's books I thought I go on a quest for the perfect 'easy' introduction to QM and its various interpretations. The two books that kept being recommended in reviews were 'The Ghost in the Atom' by Davies and 'Quantum Reality' by Nick Herbert. Nick Herbert actually recommends the former!:

"When Australian consciousness philosopher David Chalmers was teaching a course on the physical basis of consciousness a few years ago he sent out a call to his friends to vote on the most user-friendly first book on quantum theory. My own book “Quantum Reality” was considered too technical for a naive reader. The vote went to “Ghost in the Atom” edited by Paul Davies which is a collection of BBC interviews with quantum-mechanical greats about the foundational questions prefaced by a wonderfully clear summary of QM by Paul Davies himself. I voted for GITA too. Short and snappy–a good book to whet your appetite for stronger stuff. Heinz Pagels’s “Cosmic Code” is also a fine popularization."

http://cosmicvariance.com/2006/09/28/quantum-mechanics-made-easy/

Davies has just arrived through my letter box, and I'll probably get Herbert after I read it. Watch this space and I'll give my impression of Davies.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the strange and counterintuitive behavior of these particles, such as being in two places at once or seemingly communicating instantaneously over large distances.

2. Are there any recommended books on quantum mechanics for non-scientists?

Yes, there are many great books on quantum mechanics written for the layperson. Some popular titles include "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

3. Do I need a background in physics to understand quantum mechanics?

No, you do not need a background in physics to understand the basics of quantum mechanics. However, some mathematical and scientific concepts may be difficult to grasp without prior knowledge.

4. Can quantum mechanics be applied to everyday life?

While quantum mechanics may seem abstract and unrelated to everyday life, it has many practical applications. For example, it is used in the development of technology such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory.

5. Can quantum mechanics explain the mysteries of the universe?

Quantum mechanics can offer explanations for some phenomena, but it is not a complete theory of everything. It is still an area of active research and there are many unanswered questions about the universe that remain a mystery.