1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM classics

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    Which books can be considerd classics in the field of quantum mechanics (I am talking about books like Balletine, Landau and so on)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    Thanks td21! A like is yours.

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Shankar seems to be highly rated. However, I haven't read it yet so I can't give a personal review

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    Thankyou ZetaOfThree!

7. Nov 16, 2014 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<Classic> for a book means famous, not necessarily new. The first textbook of Quantum Mechanics is the 1930 1st Ed. of Dirac' Principles of Quantum Mechanics. It's definitely 'the classic', as can be considered von Neumann's 1932 book. These 2 were the first books on quantum mechanics *with Dirac focusing on principles and formalism, while the Hungarian von Neumann on the mathematical structure of the new (at that time) theory*.

Putting modern textbooks at the level of >classical< is a bold and not necessarily justified enterprise. Perhaps by 2050 we can call Weinberg's 2013 book on QM as classical.

8. Dec 4, 2014 #7
    Quantum Mechanics by Messiah is old but I think is should be considered Classic. Merzbacher is good and held dominance in graduate schools before Sakurai supplanted it.

9. Dec 5, 2014 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Another two books:

Cohen Tannoudji et al (good as a reference not for self learning).

Wheeler and Zurek Quantum Measurement, still on my to read list, which I haven't found time to read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted