Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM commutators

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    Does anyone know of any tables that show the commutation relations of all QM opeartors? Any information would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2004 #2
    You don't need a table, they can all be derived simply from

[tex][x,p]=i\hbar[/tex]

That's the beauty of physics and the thing that distinguishes it from Botany or stamp collecting.

You may need a couple more for relativistic quantum physics and spin, but since you didn't specify I am assuming you mean non-relativistic QM.

4. May 16, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

Yes indeed. There are some important commutation relations involving rotations and boosts.

5. May 16, 2004 #4
    I was looking for non-relativistic, just wondered if such a thing existed. The matrical rep of the Serret-Frenet formulae is very neat because it makes them very easy to remember. Now that I've looked at all the classical QM relations together at once I see that, as Slyboy stated a table is not really necessary, because they are all so similar. Thanks everyone.

6. May 16, 2004 #5

Janitor

Science Advisor

I can't resist adding-

But if you had been looking for relativistic commutation relations, one way to sum up the relations for generators of rotation J and generators of boost K are that they form the algebra SO(3,1), or equivalently SU(2) x SU(2).

Tell that to your friends to impress them. :approve:

7. May 17, 2004 #6
    but perhaps you should read a book on Lie algebras first, just in case any of them know what you are talking about. :biggrin:

8. May 18, 2004 #7
    I've read about 20 books on Lie Algebras and Superalgebras - I know more math than physics.

9. May 18, 2004 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you'd also need to know that [itex][x_i,x_j]=0[/itex] and [itex][p_i,p_j]=0[/itex].

Yes, and you need the commutators for spin even in nonrelativistic QM, since spin is not derived from x and p.

10. May 19, 2004 #9
    Yes, but you can derive the relations for orbital angular momentum and they are essentially the same.

11. May 19, 2004 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're exactly the same, but that's not the point. The point is that spin isn't a function of x and p, and so the commutators for the spin operators must be added to the set of "fundamental" commutators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?