1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM - Find <E>

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's this question ngyah (Liboff 5.33) that says

"We consider a particle in an infinite 1-dimensional well. The particle is described by an arbitrary wave function [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]. (a) For this particle, show that [itex]<E> \geq E_1[/itex]. (b) What is the condition on [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] such that [itex]<E> = E_1[/itex]?"

My solution: First of all, I'm assuming that by <E> he means <H>. But <H> = E. And E is the energy associated with the superposition of the sine waves that make up [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]. So

[tex]E = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}c_i E_i[/tex]

where the c_i are either 1 or 0 depending on wheter or not [itex]\psi_i(x) = sin(k_ix)[/itex] is present in the Fourier expansion of [itex]\psi(x)[/itex]. This said, if [itex]\psi_1(x)[/itex] is in the expansion of [itex]\psi(x)[/itex], then [itex]E = E_1 +... \geq E_1[/itex]. If not, then [itex]E = 0\cdot E_1 + ... + 1\cdot E_j +... \geq E_1[/itex].

And for (b), the condition on psi is that psi be exactly psi_1.

That looks pretty neat to me. The only point I'm unsure of is wheter or not, it is true that the energy of a psi made up of a linear combination of other psi_i is the sum of the energy of the psi_i. Actually, this seems FALSE to me. For suppose psi_1 and psi_2 are solution of the time ind. SE with respective energy eigenvalues E_1 and E_2. Then let's see if psi = psi_1 + psi_2 is a solution with eigenvalue E_1 + E_2.

[tex](E_1+E_2)\psi = (E_1+E_2)(\psi_1 + \psi_2) = E_1\psi_1 + E_2\psi_2 + E_1\psi_2 + E_2\psi_1 = H\psi_1 + H\psi_2 + E_1\psi_2 + E_2\psi_1 = H\psi + E_1\psi_2 + E_2\psi_1 \neq H\psi [/tex]

So the energy of psi_1 + psi_2 is not E_1 +E_2. Correct? :frown: Hopefully I'm missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Arg, it's assuredly wrong, for any function that requires an infinity of sine waves to be constructed will have an infinite energy. :frown:

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If you have a wave function that is not an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, it's energy is not a precise number. What the instructor was asking for was <H>, which means the average of the energy.

If c_n are the (complex) amount of \psi_n that you have to use to make up your (normalized) wave function \psi = \sum \psi_n, then

[tex]\langle E \rangle = \langle \psi |E| \psi \rangle[/tex]
    [tex] = \sum_n \sum_m c_n^* c_m \langle E_n| H |E_m\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]= \sum_n \sum_m c_n^* c_m E_m \langle E_n | E_m\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]= \sum_n \sum_m c_n^* c_m E_m \delta_n^m[/tex]
    [tex]= \sum_n c_n^* c_n E_n[/tex]
    [tex]= \sum_n |c_n|^2 E_n < \infty[/tex]

Since [tex]\sum_n |c_n|^2 = 1[/tex], you can see that the maximum that <E> could be would be the highest of the E_n, which is less than infinity.

Hope this helps.

Carl

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not used to the notation you used. What is <psi|E|psi> ?

6. Sep 27, 2005 #5

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what book you're being taught out of, but here goes:

[tex]\psi(x) = \langle x|\psi\rangle[/tex]

That is, [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] is just the ket associated with the state [tex]\psi[/tex].

It could be that in your book / class, they haven't covered the bra-ket formalism yet. In that case,

[tex]\langle \psi | M| \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \psi^*(x) M \psi(x) dx[/tex]

for wave functions in one dimension. In the above, M is an operator.

Did this help?

Carl

7. Sep 27, 2005 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now we're talking the same language! :biggrin:

8. Sep 27, 2005 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your way seems kinda complicated CarlB with double sums and stuff. Here's mine..

[tex]<E> = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_n|c_n|^2[/tex]
    [tex]<E> = E_1|c_1|^2 + E_2|c_2|^2+... \geq E_1|c_1|^2+E_1|c_2|^2+... = E_1 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}|c_n|^2 = E_1[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?