Why can't a particle have negative kinetic energy in a finite potential well?

In summary, when analyzing the problem of a finite potential well, we search for bound states where the energy is less than the potential. This means that the particle may have a negative kinetic energy, which is not possible in classical mechanics. However, solving the Schrodinger equation for energies less than the potential results in a state that is not normalizable. This is due to the fact that the kinetic energy operator is hermitian and has real eigenvalues, causing the measured kinetic energy to be positive even in the classically forbidden region. Additionally, the energy and position operators do not commute, making it impossible to accurately measure the kinetic energy in a specific region.
maria clara
In the problem of a finite potential well, we search for bound states, in which E<V.
Say the potential is defined to be 0 outside of the well, and -V0 inside it.
Analyzing the case when -V0 < E < 0, one finds that the probability of finding the particle outside the well is not zero. This result means that a particle might have a negative kinetic energy - a situation which is impossible from a classical point of view.
So if such a situation is acceptable, why won't QM allow a situation where E < -V0 ?
Why a particle with such energy cannot exist, if we permit negative kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
maria clara said:
In the problem of a finite potential well, we search for bound states, in which E<V.
Say the potential is defined to be 0 outside of the well, and -V0 inside it.
Analyzing the case when -V0 < E < 0, one finds that the probability of finding the particle outside the well is not zero. This result means that a particle might have a negative kinetic energy - a situation which is impossible from a classical point of view.
So if such a situation is acceptable, why won't QM allow a situation where E < -V0 ?
Why a particle with such energy cannot exist, if we permit negative kinetic energy?

Remember, this is not a classical situation. One way to to measure kinetic energy is to measure p and take kinetic energy as p^2/2m. Since any measurement of p yields a real number, p^2/2m is always measured as positive, even in the classically forbidden region.

Solving the Schrodinger equation for E < -V_0 results in a state the is not normalizable.

I see my mistake, the kinetic energy must always be positive. But then how is it possible that the equation E=T+V is still relevant? if V=0 and T>0 it's impossible for E to be <0. The only explantion I can think of is probability - maybe the equation is valid only on average? namely, if we measure E and T in X identical experiments the mean values will satisfy the equation? but then what about V? it depends on the coordinate anyway, and does not change from one experiment to another, and therefore the mean value is V itself... :bugeye:...So I guess my explanation doesn't make sense at all. How do you explain this?:frown:

maria clara said:
I see my mistake, the kinetic energy must always be positive. But then how is it possible that the equation E=T+V is still relevant? if V=0 and T>0 it's impossible for E to be <0. The only explantion I can think of is probability - maybe the equation is valid only on average? namely, if we measure E and T in X identical experiments the mean values will satisfy the equation? but then what about V? it depends on the coordinate anyway, and does not change from one experiment to another, and therefore the mean value is V itself... :bugeye:...So I guess my explanation doesn't make sense at all. How do you explain this?:frown:

I understand it this way. Even if the eigenvalue of [tex]\hat{p}^2/2m[/tex] is negative outside the well, the corresponding wavefunction is not actually an eigenstate of the kinetic energy operator , because the equation is true only for a part of space. The measured momentum and KE depends on the *whole* wavefunction, and since the momentum operator is hermitian and has real eigenvalues, the measured KE is positive.

Also, the energy and the position operators do not commute. So, I'd guess that you can't precisely say that the particle has some KE in some region, because for example, if you measure the energy of the particle accurately enough it may be in the well region where the potential is non-zero.

Last edited:

1. What is a finite square well in quantum mechanics?

A finite square well is a potential energy function that is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model a particle confined within a finite region of space. It is characterized by a potential energy that is constant within a certain range and drops to zero outside of that range. This creates a "well" where the particle can exist, with boundaries that act as barriers to its motion.

2. How is the finite square well used in quantum mechanics calculations?

The finite square well is used to solve the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. By solving this equation, we can determine the allowed energy levels and wavefunctions for a particle confined within the well. This is important for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their properties.

3. What are the key features of a finite square well potential?

The key features of a finite square well potential include its depth, width, and the energy of the particle. The depth of the well determines the amount of energy that the particle has within the well, while the width of the well determines the spatial extent of the confined region. The energy of the particle is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

4. What are the applications of the finite square well in physics?

The finite square well has various applications in physics, including in the study of atomic and molecular systems, semiconductor devices, and nuclear physics. It is also used in the development of quantum computing and in understanding the behavior of particles in potential wells, such as in particle accelerators.

5. Can we modify the finite square well potential to study different systems?

Yes, the finite square well potential can be modified to study different systems by changing its depth, width, and shape. For example, a double-well potential can be created by adding a second well to the original potential, allowing for the study of quantum tunneling. This flexibility makes the finite square well a valuable tool for exploring a wide range of quantum phenomena.