1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qm finite well

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say I have a potential that is infinite from - infinity to 0, -V_0 from 0 to a, and 0 from a to infinity.

Then I have three unknowns, two for the plane wave solution in the finite well and one for the exponential outside the well.

But I also have four equations. Two wavefunction continuity boundary conditions and a wavefunction derivative continuity boundary conditions. I also have the normalization equation!

How is this possible? How can the solutions depend on which 3 of the four equations I select to use?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already used the normalizability constraint in eliminating the exp(+ax) solution outside the well. Otherwise you would have four equations in four unknowns.

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    But I never used the constraint that square integral over all space of the piecewise wavefunction must be 1.

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You used that it should be finite and then arbitrarily threw away a free constant.

6. Oct 30, 2007 #5
    But if I use the 3 boundary conditions to determine the 3 remaining constants then I could get a wavefunction with no adjustable parameters left and with a square integral over all of space not equal to 1, right?

7. Oct 30, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. If you've done this problem, and I know you have, you should know that the remaining three constants are only determined up to a multiplicative constant. If you want to continue bickering about this just do it with four equations and four unknowns. The same thing will happen.

8. Oct 31, 2007 #7
    I do not want to bicker. I just want to understand the problem.

I found that it is not even possible to implement the continuity of the derivatives at a which makes some sense considering the shape of the functions. So I was wrong, there are only a total of three constraints left and all is well.

I am not sure why it makes sense that the derivatives would not be continuous since there are no delta functions at boundaries, though?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  9. Oct 31, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivative at zero is not continuous because there is an infinite potential at x=0. That's worse than a delta function.

10. Oct 31, 2007 #9
    Of course. I am talking about the derivatives at a.

11. Oct 31, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivatives at a are continuous.

12. Oct 31, 2007 #11
    So, maybe I did something wrong. I still do not understand what you were saying about the "the remaining three constants are only determined up to a multiplicative constant".

We have three equations and three unknowns, we should be able to uniqually determine each of the unknowns if there is a solution.

13. Oct 31, 2007 #12

Avodyne

Science Advisor

The point is that your four equations will determine the three coefficients AND the set of allowed energy eigenvalues.

14. Oct 31, 2007 #13
    Yes. I agree with that.

15. Oct 31, 2007 #14

Avodyne

Science Advisor

So, that's the solution. If you don't use normalization, then you don't determine the values of all three coefficients, but only their ratios; the 3rd equation then determines the allowed eigenvalues.

16. Oct 31, 2007 #15
    Thanks. I see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?