1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM, Give an example of a state vector |psi> being represented in a space spanned

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for discrete basis vectors {{e_n}}, a state vector |psi> is represented by a column vector, with elements being psi_n = <e_n|psi>. When basis vectors correspond to those with continuous eigenvalues, vectors are represented by functions. Give such an example of a state vector |psi> being represented in a space spanned by position eigenvectors {|x>}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

C_n = <x_n | psi>

I'm really taking a shot in the dark with this one. I'm using Griffith's, so I assume my solutions lies somewhere in chapter 3.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: QM, Give an example of a state vector |psi> being represented in a space spanned.

So...[itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] is a ket which is part of the space spanned by eigenvectors of X, the latter being kets satisfying [itex] X|x\rangle = x |x\rangle [/itex], where the x is a real number, the spectral value of X.

Soo... [itex] |\psi\rangle = \mbox{(something)} ~ |x\rangle [/itex]

What's (something) equal to ?

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    Re: QM, Give an example of a state vector |psi> being represented in a space spanned.

When you say spectral value, is that the same as the eigenvalue?

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A generalization of eigenvalue. But you can think of it in a simplified way as an eigenvalue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook