1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM Harm. Osc. expectation values

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    QM Harmonic Oscillator, expectation values

Hello. I am working on a problem involving the 1-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator with energy eigenstates |n>. The idea of the exercise is to use ladder operators to obtain the results. I feel I am getting a reasonably good hang of this, but my answer to one of the parts isn't comforting me. It goes like this:

Obtain the matrix elements [itex]\left\langle m\right|\hat{P}^{2}\left|0\right\rangle [/itex] for all m[tex]\geq[/tex]1

The reason I'm unsure is that this gives me a negative answer - I might be wrong here but that doesn't seem right to me. What I've done (note: I see now that I use m both for mass and the matrix element index; but I believe they are easy to distinguish):

[tex]\left\langle m\right|\hat{P}^{2}\left|0\right\rangle
    =\left(i\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\right)^{2}\left\langle
    =-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left\langle

The notation I use is â for the lowering operator and â+ for the raising operator.

My thoughts here are that the second and fourth term vanishes because they will apply the lowering operator on |0>. The first and third remains (although I will later also throw away the third):

[tex]-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{2}}\left\langle
    m\right|\left[\sqrt{2}\left|2\right\rangle -1\left|0\right\rangle
    \right]=-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{\sqrt{2}}}\left\langle

(Not sure if the kind of bracketing I did there is all right, but I believe it does the job.) The reason why 1|0> vanishes is that m never is 0 and thus <m|0> is always 0. If I have understood correctly, the integral on the right will be 0 for every m other than 2 and 1 for m=2. This I gather from the Kronecker delta. Thus the matrix elements will have the (negative!) value [tex]-{\frac{\hbar m\omega }{\sqrt{2}}}\[/tex] when m=2 and 0 for all other m.

I would appreciate any comments on what I've done here, since I'm only beginning to come to terms with Dirac notation and quantum mechanics as a whole.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?