Solving Ground State of Hydrogen Atom QM Problem

In summary, Sidarth and Goku say that the wave function of the ground state of the hydrogen atom is complex, but there is no complex conjugate. This causes a problem in my calculations for expectation values and probability integrals because there is still a pesky exponential term I can't get rid of which throws a spanner into my working?
Right so I solved the theta integral, leaving my r integral as (subbing k for p/h and alpha for 1/a):

[tex] \phi(p) = \frac{2A}{(2\pi/\hbar)^{3/2}}\frac{2\pi}{k}\int^\infty_0{rSin(kr)e^{-\alpha r}}.dr[/tex]

I tried to solve the integral by parts by subbing u =r and using the standard integrals.

[tex]\int{e^{ax} Sin(bx).dx = \frac{e^{ax}}{a^2+b^2}(aSin(bx)-bCos(bx)[/tex]

and

[tex]\int{e^{ax} Cos(bx).dx = \frac{e^{ax}}{a^2+b^2}(bSin(bx)+aCos(bx)[/tex]

Which I'm not sure about. I get (after fiddling with the constants)

[tex] \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{\pi k(\hbar^3a^3)^{1/2}}[\frac{k\alpha}{(k^2-\alpha^2)^2}] [/tex]

Does this sound about right. Can anyone suggest a way to simplify this more?

Whats the forum stand on checking working? I tried the earlier expectation for the kinetic energy of the hydrogen ground state problem and am very close, except I'm a factor of 2 out and can't see where I lost it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier transform of the ground state goes like [tex] \frac{1}{(k^2 + a^{-2}_0)^2} [/tex], so unfortunately you have made an error in your integration. Quite apart from anything else, your formula can't be right because it is singular at [tex] k = \alpha [/tex] where as the real space wavefunction is non-singular and very well behaved (in other words, you shouldn't get in a singularity in the Fourier transform).

Right, well the k in the constant and the numerator cancel. So my problem must be the extra alpha. I'll take a look at the working again. However can you tell me if there is anything wrong with using that standard integral to do the transform in r?

Last edited:
Nope still have that pesky alpha, and I feel like I'm so close too.:cry:

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Starting with

[tex] \phi(p) = \frac{2A}{(2\pi/\hbar)^{3/2}}\frac{2\pi}{k}\int^\infty_0{rSin(kr)e^{-\alpha r}}.dr[/tex]

Concentrating on the integral, I used by parts making the allocating the following.

[tex] \frac{dv}{dr} = e^{-\alpha r}Sin(kr)[/tex] thus using the standard integral I mentioned I get [tex] v = \frac{e^{-\alpha r}}{k^2-\alpha^2}(- \alpha Sin(kr)-kCos(kr))[/tex]

[tex]u = r [/tex] thus [tex] \frac{du}{dr} = 1 [/tex]

Subbing this into the by parts formula I get.

[tex] [\frac{re^{-\alpha r}}{k^2-\alpha^2}(-\alpha Sin(kr) - kCos(kr))] - \frac{- \alpha}{k^2- \alpha^2}\int{e^{-\alpha r}Sin(kr)}.dr -\frac{k}{k^2-\alpha^2}\int{e^{-\alpha r}Cos(kr)}.dr[/tex]

Making the integration gives me three terms, again, using the standard integrals.

[tex][\frac{re^{-\alpha r}}{k^2-\alpha^2}(-\alpha Sin(kr) - kCos(kr))] - [\frac{- \alpha}{k^2-\alpha^2}}(-\alpha Sin(kr) - kCos(kr))] - [\frac{k}{k^2 - \alpha^2}(-\alpha Cos(kr) + kSin(kr))][/tex]

The terms have limits between zero and infinity. The infinity terms cancel as exp(-infinity) is zero. So only the zero substitutions count. As r = 0 the first term is canceled to zero. And as Sin zero is zero only the cos terms have anny significance. The Cos reduced to 1 and so I'm left with.

[tex]\frac{- \alpha}{k^2- \alpha^2}(\frac{k}{k^2-\alpha^2}) - \frac{k}{k^2-\alpha^2}({\frac{\alpha}{k^2 -\alpha^2})[/tex]

Leaving me with [tex]\frac{2k \alpha}{(k^2-\alpha^2)^2} [/tex]

And thus the same answer as before. The 2 belongs and the k cancels, its just the alpha that shouldn't be there that I can see. I can't see my error (I'm terrible at finding mistakes) can any of you guys (Assuming what I've written makes sense).

Last edited:
Anyone see my error, this needs to be in tommorrow

Thanks

hey who started this thread coz i have a piece of work exactly the same question that i am stuck on. I am studying at loughborough uni my name is owen!

Beer-monster, you've got the wrong value for the integral, it should be [tex] k^2 + \alpha^2 [/tex] in the denominator, how did you get [tex] -\alpha^2 [/tex]?

You might try to evaluate the integral by breaking the [tex] \sin{kr}[/tex] up into its exponential parts. You should have two integrals to do, one involves [tex] e^{ikr-r/a_0} [/tex] and the other involves [tex] e^{-ik-r/a_0} [/tex] with an important relative minus sign. Each of these integrals is easy to do as it is a standard exponential integration. Once you've done each integral (be very careful with your minus signs), find a common denominator. The form I gave should pop right out.

beer monkey

if you are doing prof alexanderovs questions for question 1b i get 0.65 (2dp)but I am unsure if that is correct everything seemed to fold out nicely but not sure

I've solved the integrals but I get an addition of two [tex] (ik- \alpha)^2 [/tex]. I'm nnot how I can combine these into the form you described monkey? It's late and my brain has fallen asleep

Got there in the end. I'd like to thank everyone on the forum who tried to help me with this problem. You've been a huge help in this and hopefully QM more generally.

you made a error integrating, i do it by my self and the result is:

[tex]
\phi(p) = \frac{4\pi}{(2\pi\hbar)^{3/2}}\frac{1}{\pi a^3}\frac{2a^3 \hbar ^4}{\left(\hbar ^2 + a^2 p^2 \right)^2}
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi(k) = \frac{4\pi}{(2\pi\hbar)^{3/2}}\frac{1}{\pi a^3}\frac{2a^3 \hbar ^4}{\left(\hbar ^2 +\hbar ^2 a^2 k^2 \right)^2}
[/tex]

Last edited: