Qm, infinite sq well doubles in width

In summary: If so can you please post what you did and what the output was. In summary, the particle is in the ground state of the new potential well. The wall separation has suddenly doubled to 2w, and the expansion takes place symmetrically so that the center remains around x = 0.
t1mbro
Qm, infinite sq well doubles in width (reposted more clearly)

Edit: posting a little clearer. I was asleep when I did this last time

I don't have any notes and have to sit an exam tomorrow so i would appreciate a little help understanding this. I have the answers so i don't need them just a description of how to get to them so I can apply it hopefully to other questions! Thanks for any help

A particle is in the ground state

[itex]

u_1(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\sqrt{(2/w)}cos[\frac{(\pi)x}{w}],&\mbox{ if }
\frac{-w}{2}<x< \frac{w}{2}\\0, & \mbox{ if } x\leq \frac {-w}{2}, x \geq \frac {w}{2}\end{array}\right.
[/itex]

of a 1D square infinite potential well. The wall Separation is suddenly doubled to [itex]2w[/itex]. The expansion takes palce symetrically so that the centre remains around [itex]x = 0[/itex]

a)explain briefly why the wavefunction immidiatelyafter the wall has moved is [itex]u_1(x)[/itex].
hint: consider the approximate form of the TDSE [itex]i \hbar \Delta \psi \simeq (\hat{H} \psi) \Delta t[/itex]

b)Express [itex]u_1(x)[/itex] as a sum of the eigenfunctions in the new potential well

c)By calculating the appropriate overlap integral determine the probabliltiy that the particle will be found in the new groundstate of the new box.

[ans: [itex]p_1 = \frac{64}{9 \pi^2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you visualised the solution as a linear superposition of the eigen states of the the new well?

I agree, as you seem to state, that all the sine states have no components in this solution. I'm not sure how you approximate the TDSE as the full one seems to give you everything you want fairly quickly and easily.

See http://www-atm.physics.ox.ac.uk/user/jpaulin/Applet.html from some fun with a quantum wave packet

Last edited by a moderator:
Still having a little problem with part (a), anyone any ideas?

when you say you are having a problem with part (a) does that mean that you have done part (b)?

1. How does doubling the width of an infinite square well affect the energy levels?

Doubling the width of an infinite square well will result in twice as many energy levels. This is because the energy levels in a square well are determined by the length of the well, and doubling the width effectively doubles the length.

2. Will the energy levels be evenly spaced if the width is doubled?

Yes, the energy levels in an infinite square well are evenly spaced. This means that if the width is doubled, the spacing between energy levels will also be doubled.

3. How does the wave function change when the width of the infinite square well is doubled?

Doubling the width of the infinite square well will change the shape of the wave function. The wave function will become more spread out and have a lower amplitude compared to the wave function in a narrower well.

4. Does doubling the width of the infinite square well affect the probability of finding the particle in a certain location?

Yes, doubling the width of the infinite square well will affect the probability of finding the particle in a certain location. The probability will be lower for locations near the edges of the well and higher for locations near the center of the well.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the energy levels in an infinite square well, besides the width?

Yes, the energy levels in an infinite square well can also be affected by the potential height of the well and the mass of the particle. These factors can change the spacing between energy levels and the overall shape of the wave function.