Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM Integral and Online Integral Tables

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    Hello, I am hung up on an integral from Quantum Mechanics. I searched on Yahoo and Google for online integral tables, but failed to discover anything beyond very basic tables. The integral is as follows:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \(A*e^{-(x-a)^2} dx [/tex]

Are there any decent online integral tables that are accessible to just anyone? I found some online databases but quickly found out that I had to subscribe.

Thank You,
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Is A just a constant or a matrix?
  4. Jan 17, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The appropriate question would have bee:is A "x" dependent or not????

5. Jan 17, 2005 #4
    Oops, sorry, A is a constant. It is not dependent upon x. I could have just left that out.
  6. Jan 17, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that case,it can be reduced (by a simple substitution) to a Poisson integral which is doable appling the thoerem of Fubini and polar plane coordinates...

7. Jan 17, 2005 #6
    What he means is, square the integral and transform to polar coordinates, then use u-substitution (inverse chain rule) to solve an easy integral, take the square root of the result.

As a side note, it is impossible to find an antiderivative for your integral. No antiderivative exits (in terms of familiar functions).

As a side-side note, if a = 0 and A = 1, the answer is sqrt(pi)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?