1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM - linear algebra

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm given the Taylor expansion of [itex]e^{i\Theta M}[/itex]
    Then the question says "Compute the exponential for the given matrix M and verify that the resulting matrix is unitary.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really just don't know what they're asking...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    What's the given matrix? And do you know what unitary means?
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    Given matrix [[3/4, 1/4][1/4, 3/4]] and yeah I know what unitary means.
  5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cscott, is that a hermitian matrix ?
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Yes it is.

I just really don't know what they're asking me to do.
  7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    So if you have the expression for exponentiating a matrix, and the matrix to exponentiate, it seems to me like you can do it. What's the problem?
  8. Sep 23, 2007 #7
    They give me the Taylor expansion for that exponential (I was just too lazy to latex it)... wouldn't it be stupid to evaluate a random amount of terms?

[tex]e^{i\theta M} = \Sigma\frac{\left(i\theta\right)^n}{n!}M^n[/tex] from n=0 to infinity
  9. Sep 23, 2007 #8
    I suppose having the diagonalized version of the matrix would help for raising it to a power.

Is it correct that the diagonalized version would be [[2, 0][0, 1]]?
  10. Sep 23, 2007 #9
    If you put M into the form UDU* where U is a unitary matrix, D is diagonal, and U* is the inverse (or transpose) of U, does that help?

And no, that diagonalised form is not quite right.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  11. Sep 23, 2007 #10
    Mmm... how about D= [[1, 0][0, 1/2]] ?

Is there a maple command for doing this?
  12. Sep 23, 2007 #11
    I don't know about Maple. But it's pretty easy to do by hand -- it's not like a 2x2 matrix is that big...
  13. Sep 23, 2007 #12
    Yeah I know but I just wanted a quick way to verify it.
  14. Sep 23, 2007 #13
    In the diagonal form, the elements are the eigenvalues. To find the U matrix I mentioned above, you'll need the eigenvectors anyway. So just act M on the eigenvectors and you should end up with the respective eigenvalues. That should be check enough, and quick.
  15. Sep 23, 2007 #14
    I'm pretty sure the answer is D= [[1, 0][0, 1/2]] but if I don't know how high n should go how can I get a matrix out of the Taylor expansion they gave me?
  16. Sep 23, 2007 #15
    n is for all n: 0 to infinity. D^n for any diagonal matrix should be easy to evaluate. U*U = I for unitary matrices. And remember that matrix multiplication is distributive: AB+AC=A(B+C). Does that help?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?