How to exponentiate a 3*3 matrix with all diagonal entries equal to zero?

• Thread starter rsaad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix Qm
In summary, to exponentiate a 3*3 matrix, you can first try to diagonalize it. If it is diagonalizable, you can use the result of diagonal matrices. If it is not, you will need to compute the Jordan canonical form. Once you have the diagonal or Jordan form, you can use the definition of matrix exponential to calculate the exponentiated matrix.
rsaad
QM--- matrix exponentiation

Homework Statement

\
How do you go about exponentiating a 3*3 matrix? for example if you have

<θ,∅|exp(-i*∅*Ly/h)|l,m>

Homework Equations

I know how to exponentiate a two cross two diagonalized matrix. you just exponentiate the diagonal terms. However, in my question, all diagonal entries are zero. So what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give the actual matrix??

I think the best technique is trying to diagonalize the matrix. Then use the result of diagonal matrices.

If the matrix is not diagonalizabe, then you'll need to compute the Jordan canonical form.

k* 0 1 0
1 0 1
0 1 0

That's the matrix of Ly for l=1.

So, what if you try to diagonalize it?

I will get the eigenvalues 1, -1, 0

Can you find a basis of eigenvectors?

Yes I found the the eigen basis.

OK, so you expressed

##A = PDP^{-1}##

with ##D## diagonal.

Now, you need to calculate

[tex]e^{A} = e^{PDP^{-1}}[/tex]

Now use the definition of the matrix exponential and use that ##(PDP^{-1})^k = PD^k P^{-1}##.

What is QM-Matrix Exponentiation?

QM-Matrix Exponentiation is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to calculate the evolution of a quantum system over time. It involves raising a matrix (representing the state of the system) to a power, which results in a new matrix representing the state of the system at a future time.

How is QM-Matrix Exponentiation used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, QM-Matrix Exponentiation is used to calculate the probabilities of different measurement outcomes for a quantum system. It is also used to simulate the behavior of a quantum system under different conditions, allowing scientists to make predictions about the system's behavior.

What is the significance of QM-Matrix Exponentiation in quantum computing?

QM-Matrix Exponentiation is a fundamental technique used in quantum computing to implement quantum algorithms. It is used to simulate the behavior of quantum systems on classical computers, which is necessary for developing and testing quantum algorithms.

What are the limitations of QM-Matrix Exponentiation?

One limitation of QM-Matrix Exponentiation is that it becomes computationally expensive for larger matrices, making it difficult to simulate complex quantum systems. Additionally, it assumes that the quantum system is continuously evolving, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.

How is QM-Matrix Exponentiation related to other matrix operations?

QM-Matrix Exponentiation is closely related to other matrix operations, such as matrix multiplication and diagonalization. It relies on the properties of these operations to accurately simulate the evolution of a quantum system. Additionally, QM-Matrix Exponentiation can be used to calculate other important quantities in quantum mechanics, such as the time evolution operator.