1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM/MM vs QM/MD

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

I have a general questions on which is the difference between these two methods QM/MM and QM/MD?
    Any hints appreciated - thanks in advance
    Best

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

QM = quantum mechanical?
    MM = molecular mechanics?
    MD = molecular dynamics?

Is this what you are talking about?

4. Dec 11, 2007 #3
    Yes - that is my question.

I would presume that in a QM/MM one would converge to structure when the QM part would converge due to some gradient tolerance but I am not quite sure about the QM/MD.

Any advise appreciated - thanks

5. Dec 11, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps in the MD system, the structure is allowed to deform to an energy minimized trasition state (by MM) rather than to a ground state energy minimized structure. The path to that transition state will contain multiple energy minimized geometries. Those structures leading to the transition state could be calculated with MM resulting in the eventual geometry of the transition state. Perhaps the overall process using MM calculations for ground state, intermediate and transition state structures would collectively be referred to as molecular dynamics? A quote from "Computational Chemistry" by Errol Lewars:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?