Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Qm notation

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    deleted

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2
    Do you know what the brackets mean in general?

Edit: pay attention to this line in particular.

This tells you very explicitly what the interpretation of both quantities should be.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    I didn't see that sentence the square of the average is not the same as the average of squares. But now i do.

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    Nevertheless I'm truly amazed that you saw the question almost the moment I posted it and answered it in about 5 seconds. Wow!

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think the <> notation just means average.

so the <j^2> means the average of the squares of j values

and <j>^2 is the square of the average of j values

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6
    But I guess what the brackets mean is that you have the take the average of what is between them, so pretend { is a bracket. If you know the latex for brackets please let me know.

{j^2} where j is 2,3,4 would be the average of 4 9 16 hence a little above 9 whereas {j}^2 would be 9 exactly, right?

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7
    Use \langle and \rangle for pretty brackets (not horrendously bad ones, which are what <> give you).

Otherwise, yes, you have the basic idea now. You should be accustomed to seeing [itex]\langle j^2 \rangle - \langle j \rangle^2 = \sigma_j^2[/itex] as well. This is one formula for the variance.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook