1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qm notation

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    deleted

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2
    Do you know what the brackets mean in general?

Edit: pay attention to this line in particular.

This tells you very explicitly what the interpretation of both quantities should be.

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3
    I didn't see that sentence the square of the average is not the same as the average of squares. But now i do.

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    Nevertheless I'm truly amazed that you saw the question almost the moment I posted it and answered it in about 5 seconds. Wow!

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think the <> notation just means average.

so the <j^2> means the average of the squares of j values

and <j>^2 is the square of the average of j values

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6
    But I guess what the brackets mean is that you have the take the average of what is between them, so pretend { is a bracket. If you know the latex for brackets please let me know.

{j^2} where j is 2,3,4 would be the average of 4 9 16 hence a little above 9 whereas {j}^2 would be 9 exactly, right?

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7
    Use \langle and \rangle for pretty brackets (not horrendously bad ones, which are what <> give you).

Otherwise, yes, you have the basic idea now. You should be accustomed to seeing [itex]\langle j^2 \rangle - \langle j \rangle^2 = \sigma_j^2[/itex] as well. This is one formula for the variance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook