1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM Ocillator

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t) ofr the lowest energy state of simple harmonic oscillator, consisting of a particle mass m acted on by a linear restoring force F=Cx, where C is the force constant, can be expressed as..
    [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t)=Aexp[-([tex]\sqrt{}Cm[/tex]/2h)x[tex]^{}2[/tex]-(i/2)([tex]\sqrt{}C/m[/tex])t] where A is constant.

a. use the Hamiltonian operator with V(x)=.5x[tex]^{}2[/tex], to evaluate the total energy of the state!

2. Relevant equations
    Hop(x)=(P[tex]^{}2[/tex]op/2m)+V(x)
    Hop(t)=i*hbar(d/dt)
    P[tex]^{}2[/tex]op=-hbar[tex]^{}2[/tex]d[tex]^{}2[/tex]/dx[tex]^{}2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok i am very confused as to which operqator to use, since my wave function is not time independent, but they give me V(x) value...
    but to find to total energy all u do is multiply the operator by wave function i think.

can i ask which op do i use?? and is it just multiplying them together?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    they should give the same answer as its the same state!

but seeing as it says in the question to use the Hamiltonian with [itex]V(x)=\frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex], i'd use the first one you wrote down seeing as it has a V(x) term in it.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook