1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM or quantum chemistry?

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    I'm a chemical engineering major and I have to take one of these. Is QM more theory heavy or are they about the same in that regard? I am leaning more towards QM. my only exposure so far has been with the "modern physics" part of general physics

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2
    Whats the quantum chemistry course cover? Those can vary a lot from pure quantum, to computational chem, to spectroscopy, etc, etc.

Most likely though, regardless, my answer would be the same. If youve only taken modern physics take the quantum mechanics course.

4. May 21, 2012 #3

cgk

Science Advisor

OP, I find it confusing that you have this choice. Quantum chemistry should usually require that you already have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics as prerequisite. It is an advanced topic dealing with many-body quantum mechanics, and how this can be made to work in realistic systems.

5. May 23, 2012 #4
    The class is physical chemistry but I hear everyone refer to it as quantum chemistry, my bad. The first semester of pchem deals with quantum mechanics. Not sure how it compares with the physics version.

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    The way its taught will depend amazingly on the instructor.

Do you know what book they use? Now that I know its p chem, I'd more heavily lean towards taking quantum mechanics.

7. May 23, 2012 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook