1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM Oscillator Question

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Write down the operator [tex] \hat{a}^2 [/tex] in the basis of the energy states [tex] |n> [/tex]. Determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator [tex] \hat{a}^2 [/tex] working in the same basis.

You may use the relation: [tex] \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{|x|^{2k}}{(2k)!} = cosh(|x|) [/tex]"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part, I've got the abstract version of the operator to be:

[tex] \hat{a}^2 = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sqrt{n(n-1)} |n-2><n| [/tex]

but the second part is giving me some trouble. I'm not too sure how to set about it, I've tried a few different approaches but nothing ends up using the above relation. I've tried a coherent state: [tex] \hat{a} |n> = \lambda |n> [/tex], and I've tried a ket composed on the basis n: [tex] |\psi> = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} C_n |n> [/tex].

I'd be grateful if somebody could show me the way with this question, I've just hit a brick wall with it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2
    Well, [itex]\hat{a}^2[/itex] commutes with [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] so any eigenvector of the latter is an eigenvector of the former. So to compute the eigenvalues, just operate [itex]\hat{a}^2[/itex] on a coherent state.
  4. Jan 14, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

To continue along the lines of the previous post, assume |A> is an eigenvector of a^2 with eigenvalue A^2. Does this mean it is an eigenvector of a with eigenvalue A? Well, first of all, we see it could just as well have eigenvalue -A. And because of this, we could in general expect to find:

|A> = |B> + |C>

where a|B>=A|B> and a|C>=-A|C>, giving:

a|A> = A |B> - A |C>

so that |A> is not an eigenvector of a unless either |B> or |C> is zero, and yet:

a^2 |A> = A^2 |B> + A^2 |C> = A^2 |A>

In other words, while all the eigenvectors of a will still be eigenvectors of a^2, there will in general be some new ones as well, given by linear combinations of a-eigenvectors with eigenvalues that are negatives of eachother. With a little work you can show these are the only new eigenvectors.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?