Solving for Constants in Perturbed Simple Harmonic Oscillator with HF Potential

In summary, the problem involves finding expressions for the first-order energy corrections for the first three states of a simple harmonic oscillator of HF. The x3 term does not contribute, leaving only the x4 term. The natural frequency of the unperturbed harmonic oscillator can be found by using the known transition energies from the 1st and 2nd excited state to the ground state. However, to fully solve the problem, the constants k and c need to be calculated. The relation between k and c can be found using the reduced mass for HF.
NeedPhysHelp8

Homework Statement

The potential of a simple harmonic oscillator of HF has the following form
[tex] \frac{1}{2}kx^2 + bx^3 + cx^4 [/tex]
The first part of the problem involved finding expressions for the first-order energy corrections for the first three states, which I found below. Basically the x3 term does not contribute at all only x4:
[tex] E_{0}^{'} = \frac{3}{4}c(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 [/tex]
[tex]E_{1}^{'} = \frac{15}{4}c(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 [/tex]
[tex] E_{2}^{'} = \frac{39}{4}c(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 [/tex]
Now the next part of the problem supplied the known transition energies from the 1st and 2nd excited state to the ground state. I was then able to figure out the value for the natural frequency of the unperturbed harmonic oscillator by constructing the following equations knowing that the energy is equal to the unperturbed (E=1/2(n+1)hw) + the perturbed found previously :

[tex] \Delta E_{1,0} = \hbar\omega_0 + c \frac{9}{8}(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 [/tex]
[tex] \Delta E_{2,0} = 2\hbar\omega_0 + c 9(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 [/tex]

I solved these equations and found ω0 but the next part involves calculating the constants k and c . I know the relation that:
[tex] k = m\omega_0^2 [/tex]
But I can't figure out a way to solve for each individually only for c/k2

Thanks!

edit: should I just assume I need to look up a reduced mass for HF? or can it be solved another way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
? Homework EquationsE_{0}^{'} = \frac{3}{4}c(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 E_{1}^{'} = \frac{15}{4}c(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 E_{2}^{'} = \frac{39}{4}c(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 \Delta E_{1,0} = \hbar\omega_0 + c \frac{9}{8}(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 \Delta E_{2,0} = 2\hbar\omega_0 + c 9(\frac{\hbar}{m\omega_0})^2 k = m\omega_0^2 The Attempt at a Solution I assumed that I need to look up a reduced mass for HF but I can't quite figure out how to relate the constants k and c.

What is perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the solution to a problem that is too complex to solve exactly. In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is used to study the effects of small changes or disturbances on the behavior of a quantum system.

How does perturbation theory relate to the simple harmonic oscillator (SHO)?

Perturbation theory is commonly used to study the behavior of quantum systems that can be approximated as a simple harmonic oscillator. By adding a small perturbation to the SHO, we can calculate the resulting changes in the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system.

What are the different orders of perturbation theory?

There are three orders of perturbation theory: first-order, second-order, and higher-order. In first-order perturbation theory, we consider the first-order correction to the system. In second-order perturbation theory, we include the first-order correction as well as the second-order correction. Higher-order perturbation theory includes all higher-order corrections.

How do we calculate the first-order correction to the energy levels of a SHO?

The first-order correction to the energy levels of a SHO can be calculated using the first-order perturbation formula:

En(1) = <n|H'|n>
where En(1) is the first-order correction to the nth energy level, |n> is the nth energy eigenstate, and H' is the perturbation operator.

What are some examples of perturbation to a SHO?

Some common examples of perturbations to a SHO include external forces such as an electric field or a magnetic field, changes in the potential energy function, or interactions with other quantum systems. These perturbations can cause changes in the energy levels and wavefunctions of the SHO.