1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Potential Well

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An experimental physicist submits a proposal to a granting agency requesting support to construct an infinite potential well analogous to the one shown in Figure 3.5 (an electron trapped in a one dimensional box made of electrodes and grids in an evacuated tube). Specifically, the proposal is to build a well with L = 1mm, inject some electrons into it, and then measure the wavelength of photons emitted during low-n transitions via optical spectroscopy. As an expert on quantum mechanics, you are asked to evaluate the proposal. What is your recommendation?

2. Relevant equations

E = [tex]\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2 m L^2}n^2[/tex]

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\frac{h c }{E}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Questions: Can electrons transition without a nucleus? Is it responding to some nucleus outside of the well? Does it have nothing to do with nuclei at all? What exactly are low-n transitions?

I'm very confused, so any direction would be appreciated. I know that the proposal should be refused, but I don't know why. By playing around with the equations above, I though perhaps that the wavelength wasn't in the visual spectrum, but I'm not sure that combining the two equations even makes sense.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

you can take "low-n transitions" to mean n=1 or 2 or so. That is, plug in n=1 or 2 or whatever to the 'E' formula and find E. Then plug that E into the '[itex]\lambda[/itex] formula and find [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Compare the wavelength you find to the wavelength of visible light.
  4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much. That's what I did initially, but I wasn't sure if that was the right method.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?