Stuck on 6.16: Solving for Wavefunctions in Different Regimes

In summary, the homework statement says that the solution given for r < r_0 is given by R(r) = A/r sin(k_1*r), and the solution for r > r_0 is given by R(r) = B/r exp(-k_2*r). However, the attempt at a solution given says that the only solution for r < r_0 is R(r) = A/r sin(k_1*r), and the only solution for r > r_0 is R(r) = D/r exp(-k_2*r).
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am working on 6.16 at the following site:

http://mikef.org/files/phys_4241_hw14.pdf

I think that the solution given is given is wrong. I can get part a), however, I am just getting stuck on part b). So, the wavefunction in r < r_0 is

R(r) = A/r sin(k_1*r)

and the solution in r > r_0 is given by

R(r) = B/r exp(-k_2*r)

I have no idea how t do what they are asking in part b) since we have three unknowns, A, B and V_0 and only two equations: namely continuity at r_0 of R and R'. Is there something that I am missing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What I'm not understanding is the fact that they tell you to assume you are in a bound state, but then they find oscillatory solutions even as r goes to infinity. Did they just say the nuclear force is binding for all r?? Since they are modeling the nuclear force, R(r) should decrease exponentially outside of r0. If you're dying to come up with a solution, use
m(D) = 2.014102 u
m(p) = 1.00727647 u
m(n) = 1.00866501 u

Where 931.502 MeV = 1 u
That should give you the actual binding energy of a deuterium nucleus, although I know this doesn't help you solve it the way they want you to.

As I said, I think that solution is totally wrong as you can see from the statement

"Then we must have E + V_0 > 0 or E > V_0."

But I think there is still a way to do the problem...

Here is more of my work:

For r < r_0 the only solution is R(r) = A/r sin (k_1*r), where k_1 =
sqrt((E+V_0)2m)/h-bar.

For r > r_0, I get
R(r) = B/r sin(k_2 r) + C/r cos (k_2 r) if E> 0
and
R(r) = D/r exp(-k_2 r) if E< 0
, where k_2 = sqrt(E2m)/h-bar.

So, for part b, since E is less than 0, I can use R(r) = D/r exp(-k_2 r)
for r > r_0. But, then there are 3 unknowns, A, D and V_0, and I do not
understand how I can solve for all any of them using only continuity.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it is wrong. It says assume a bound solution but at the beginning of the last paragraph they assume that E > 0 which should not be true for a bound solution in a potential of -V.

But, have you tried using normalization, continuity, and smoothness on Psi to give you 3 equations for your 4 unknowns A, B, C, and V?

dwintz02 said:
Yes, I think it is wrong. It says assume a bound solution but at the beginning of the last paragraph they assume that E > 0 which should not be true for a bound solution in a potential of -V.

But, have you tried using normalization, continuity, and smoothness on Psi to give you 3 equations for your 4 unknowns A, B, C, and V?

Part a says that I should not normalize the solutions. Anyway, do you think what I wrote in my last post is correct, reducing it to 3 unknowns?

anyone see what is going on here?

someone, please!

1. What is the purpose of solving for wavefunctions in different regimes?

The purpose of solving for wavefunctions in different regimes is to understand and predict the behavior of particles in different physical systems. By solving for wavefunctions, we can determine the probability of a particle's position or momentum, and use this information to make predictions about its behavior.

2. What are the different regimes in which wavefunctions can be solved?

There are three main regimes in which wavefunctions can be solved: the quantum regime, the classical regime, and the intermediate regime. In the quantum regime, particles are described by wavefunctions and behave according to the principles of quantum mechanics. In the classical regime, particles are described by classical equations of motion and behave according to classical mechanics. The intermediate regime is a combination of both quantum and classical behaviors.

3. How do you solve for wavefunctions in the quantum regime?

In the quantum regime, wavefunctions are solved using the Schrödinger equation. This is a mathematical equation that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The solution to this equation gives us the wavefunction, which contains information about the particle's position, momentum, and energy.

4. What are the challenges of solving for wavefunctions in different regimes?

One of the main challenges of solving for wavefunctions in different regimes is the fundamental difference between quantum and classical mechanics. In the quantum regime, particles behave as waves and can be in multiple states at once, while in the classical regime, particles behave as discrete objects with definite positions and momentums. This requires different mathematical approaches and can be difficult to reconcile.

5. How are wavefunctions in different regimes used in practical applications?

Wavefunctions in different regimes are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of new materials, designing electronic devices, and understanding chemical reactions. By solving for wavefunctions, we can gain insights into the behavior of particles and use this information to improve technologies and make predictions about the physical world.