1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Product expectation value

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I have read a paper, where they want to find the average number of photons in a cavity. They have an expression for [itex]\langle{\hat a}\rangle[/itex], and then they use
    [tex]
    \langle{\hat a}\rangle^* = \langle{\hat a^\dagger}\rangle
    [/tex]
    to find [itex]\langle{\hat a^\dagger \hat a}\rangle[/itex]. I agree with the above relation, however what I don't agree with is the following equality
    [tex]
    \langle{\hat a^\dagger \hat a}\rangle = \langle{\hat a}\rangle^*\langle{\hat a}\rangle
    [/tex]
    Am I right? I mean, one can't just factorize an expectation value like that.

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2012 #2
    You are right in that the equality doesn't hold in general. It is a commonly made approximation in order to "close" the set of correlation functions.

4. Jul 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks! I read it here, on page 12/13, where they do as I wrote in my OP: http://mediatum2.ub.tum.de/doc/652711/652711.pdf

I can't see however why the approximation is valid in this case.

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4
    If I'm not mistaken the equality holds because the authors are considering the steady state case.

6. Jul 31, 2012 #5
    It is not obvious to me why it should be valid in steady state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook