1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM, propagator of particle

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (this is from R. Shankar, Principles of Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed, exercise 5.4.3)
    Consider a particle subject to a constant force f in one dimension. Solve for the propagator in momentum space and get

[tex] U(p,t;p',0) = \delta (p-p'-ft) e^{ i(p'^3-p^3)/6m\hbar f } [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I write a hamiltonian H = p^2/2m + fx, plug that into H|p>=E|p>, with the x operator in momentum space being ih d/dp, it's all nice and seperable and I get

[tex] \psi(p) = A exp \left( i \frac{p^3-6mEp}{6m\hbar f} \right) [/tex]

but what do I do now? I'm not sure how to go about normalizing this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

First of all, you don't really mean H|p>=E|p>; |p> is an eigenstate of the momentum operator, but not of H; you mean H|E>=E|E>, where <p|E> is your momentum-space wave function.

You want to normalize it so that you can write a completeness statement in the form
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dE\;|E\rangle\langle E| = I,[/tex]
    where I is the identity operator.

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    Thanks!
    It's a bit much too write everything as tex but I ended up with
    [tex] A = \left( \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar f} \right)^{1/2} [/tex]
    Now, how do I get a propagator out of this!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  5. Oct 31, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

The propagator is <p'|e^(-iHt/hbar)|p>. Can you think of a use for the completeness statement?

6. Oct 31, 2007 #5
    [tex]
    \langle p'| e^{-iHt/ \hbar} |p\rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dE \langle p'|E \rangle \langle E| e^{-iHt/ \hbar} |p\rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dE \langle p'|E \rangle \langle E|p-ft\rangle
    [/tex]
    and I can plug in my expression for psi, do the integral and out comes the given answer.
    But how come e^(-iHt/hbar)|p> = |p-ft>? I just guessed it from experience of doing lots of integrals like these.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  7. Oct 31, 2007 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You don't need to guess it, and in fact it's not correct; evaluating your final expression does not yield the given result (so you made a mistake somewhere when you evaluated it).

In your middle expression, you can replace H with E, since H is sitting next to one of its eigenstates. Then the integral over E will generate the given answer.

8. Nov 22, 2011 #7
    Hi, i have a quick question on middle part of the integral. How do you evaluate <E|e[itex]^{-iEt/h}[/itex]|p> ?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?