QM: Understanding Quantization Axis for 2-Level Atoms

In summary, The conversation discusses working with quantization axis in the context of a single two-level atom being driven by an electromagnetic field. The choice of quantization axis is not crucial as the results should remain the same, but different choices may lead to different interpretations of the same signal.
Niles
Hi

I have a question on how to work with quantization axis. The setup I am looking at is a single two-level atom placed at the origin (0, 0, 0), which is not perturbed by any magnetic field.

I now send in a laser resonant with the transition of the atom. With a right-handed coordinate system in mind, the field is linearly polarized along y and propagagtes along +x. Since there is no magnetic field applied, I am allowed to choose the quantization as I wish.

1) The easiest choice is to choose the y-axis directly such that the EM-field drives the pi-transition of the atom. All OK here.

2) If I had chosen the z-axis instead, then the EM-field would drive sigma-transitions instead. Since no magnetic field is applied, they are equal to the pi-transition, so we get exactly the same signal as we should. All OK here too.

3) Now say I had instead chosen to put my quantization axis along in the (y, z)-plane with an angle Ω relative the y-axis.

Am I allowed to decompose the quantization axis into a cos(Ω)-part (driving the pi transition) and a sin(Ω) part (driving the sigma transitions)? Or is this reasoning wrong?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to find out? Quantization axis seems to be just an auxiliary notion; the results should not depend on its choice.

What is quantization axis in quantum mechanics?

Quantization axis refers to the direction in space along which the spin or angular momentum of a quantum system is measured. It is chosen arbitrarily and is used to describe the state of the system.

Why is it important to understand quantization axis in 2-level atoms?

Quantization axis is important in understanding the behavior of 2-level atoms because it affects how the atoms interact with electromagnetic radiation and how they transition between energy levels. It also plays a role in the measurement and manipulation of the atoms in experiments.

How is the quantization axis determined in 2-level atoms?

The quantization axis is typically chosen based on the symmetry of the system. In 2-level atoms, it is often aligned with the direction of the magnetic field or the direction of the electric field in the atom's environment.

What is the relationship between quantization axis and spin?

The quantization axis and spin are related in that the spin is the component of an atom's angular momentum along the quantization axis. In other words, the spin is the projection of the angular momentum onto the quantization axis.

Can the quantization axis be changed in 2-level atoms?

Yes, the quantization axis can be changed by applying a magnetic field or by rotating the atom's environment. This can affect the atom's behavior and the measurements that can be made on it.