Visualizing Spin Up/Down Probabilities of an Electron Wave Function

The height of each bar represents the probability of each outcome. In summary, to draw the distribution of the measured outcome for the given wave function, you would plot a bar graph with a bar for spin up at a height of 0.9 and a bar for spin down at a height of 0.1.
Hyperreality
A wave function psi = 3i|up> + 1|down> corresponding to the spin of the electron.

If I want to draw the distribution of the measured outcome, do I do the following?Probability of spin up = 0.9

Probability of spin down = 0.1

So I would draw a bar graph showing that spin up has a value of 0.9 and spin down have a value of 0.1. Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperreality said:
A wave function psi = 3i|up> + 1|down> corresponding to the spin of the electron.

If I want to draw the distribution of the measured outcome, do I do the following?

Probability of spin up = 0.9

Probability of spin down = 0.1

So I would draw a bar graph showing that spin up has a value of 0.9 and spin down have a value of 0.1. Is this right?

Yes. Since it is a discrete variable, the only way to plot the probabaility distribution is as a bar chart.

What is an electron wave function?

An electron wave function is a mathematical description of the behavior and properties of an electron in quantum mechanics. It represents the probability of finding an electron at a given location in space and time.

What does it mean to visualize spin up/down probabilities?

Visualizing spin up/down probabilities involves representing the likelihood of an electron having a certain spin orientation (either up or down) in a graphical or visual format. This can help in understanding the behavior of electrons in quantum mechanical systems.

How can spin up/down probabilities be visualized?

Spin up/down probabilities can be visualized using various techniques such as 3D plots, contour plots, or color maps. These visualizations can show the probability distribution of an electron's spin orientation in a particular region of space.

What factors affect the spin up/down probabilities of an electron?

The spin up/down probabilities of an electron can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the energy level of the electron, and the orientation of the electron's spin relative to the magnetic field.

Why is visualizing spin up/down probabilities important in quantum mechanics?

Visualizing spin up/down probabilities is important in quantum mechanics as it allows us to better understand the behavior of electrons and their spin orientations in different systems. This can help in predicting and explaining the properties of materials at the atomic level, which has important implications in various fields such as materials science and electronics.