1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Questions on spin

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I am looking at the spin-state (i.e. we neglect other degrees of freedom for this system) of two particles 1 and 2 given by:

[tex]
    \left| {\psi (t = 0)} \right\rangle = \frac{1}{{\sqrt 3 }}\left( {\left| \uparrow \right\rangle _1 \left| \uparrow \right\rangle _2 + \left| \uparrow \right\rangle _1 \left| \downarrow \right\rangle _2 + \left| \downarrow \right\rangle _1 \left| \downarrow \right\rangle _2 } \right)
    [/tex]

where the subscript denotes the particle which has a spin-direction given by the arrow (up or down).

Question #1: Say I conduct a measurement of the spin for particle 1, and I get spin up. This means that there are two possible states the system is now in, more specifically the first and second state. Now I measure the spin of particle 2, and I can get either up or down, but what is the probability of this?

Attempt for #1: I believe it is simply ½, since the particles are now in a state, which is a linear combination of the two first states in [itex]\psi(t=0)[/itex]. Can you confirm this?

Question #2: The two particles are in the "original" state [itex]\psi(t=0)[/itex]. We let them evovle by according to the Hamiltonian given by:

[tex]
    \hat H = \omega_1 S_{1,z} + \omega_2 S_{2,z},
    [/tex]

where the omega's are just positive constants and the operatores are spin in the z-direction for particle 1 and 2. I have to find [itex]\psi(t)[/itex] at some random time t.

Attempt for #2: I find the eigenenergies of each of the three possible states at time t=0, and then I just multiply each of the three states in [itex]\psi(t=0)[/itex] with the time-constant exp(-iEt/hbar), with the respective energy for each state.

If this is correct, then why can we just multiply by the exponential time factor? I mean, this came when the solved the S.E., but that was for a different Hamiltonian.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2
    Your answers for both questions are correct.

As for the second question, the idea is as follows. Any wavefunction [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] can be expanded in terms of energy eigenstates [tex]\psi_n(x)[/tex]. At t=0, this expansion looks like:

[tex]\Psi(x,0) = \sum_n c_n \psi_n(x)[/tex]

Now you can prove, on very general grounds, that the evolution of an energy-eigenstate through time is quite simple, namely, we only have an energy and time-dependent phase factor: [tex]e^{iE_nt/\hbar}[/tex]. So the complete decomposition is:

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \sum_n c_n \psi_n(x)e^{iE_nt/\hbar}[/tex]

This is precisely the answer you gave, only now for a specific Hamiltonian (i.e. set of energy states and energy eigenvalues). It is in fact a very general result.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you for reading through my post, and taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

5. Mar 22, 2009 #4
    If the states [itex]\psi_n(x)[/itex] are not energy eigenstates (i.e. not eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian), then how does the time-dependence look like?

Is it still exp(-iEt/hbar)? Or is it not the energy E, but the relevant eigenvalue that should be used instead?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  6. Mar 23, 2009 #5
    No, the time-dependence is always given in terms of the energy-eigenstates. If you use basis states which are not eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, then their evolution gets a lot more complicated. Probably the only way to know what the exact expression is, is to write these basis states in terms of energy eigenstates.

This is why energy-eigenstates are so important: their time evolution is quite simple.

7. Mar 23, 2009 #6
    Ahh, ok, very interesting. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook