Understanding Quantum Numbers and Their Limits in Particle States

• Thread starter UndeniablyRex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the concept of quantum numbers and their relationship to the state of particles can be complex. While two particles cannot share the same quantum numbers, the concept of position is not a reliable quantum number to use. Instead, other quantum numbers such as angular momentum and spin should be used to define the state of the system. Therefore, the distance between particles is not a determining factor in whether a state can be considered "empty".
UndeniablyRex
Correct me where I go wrong.

I understand two particles can not share the same quantum numbers, but electrons in separate atoms do share the same quantum numbers. Where's the limit? How far away from a particle do you have to be in order to be able to consider that state "empty"?

Thank you for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
UndeniablyRex said:
Correct me where I go wrong.

I understand two particles can not share the same quantum numbers, but electrons in separate atoms do share the same quantum numbers. Where's the limit? How far away from a particle do you have to be in order to be able to consider that state "empty"?

Thank you for any help

No, not really, electrons associated with different atoms have different quantum numbers, the thing is, position is not a good quantum number to use, since the state of the electron is in general, not localised, so it does not have a definite position.

So it is not really about 'how far away', but rather, more about finding the right quantum numbers to define the state of the system. So for example, if the angular momentum and spins of the electron states are well defined, then you should use those numbers for comparison, not the position

1. What is QM?

QM stands for Quantum Mechanics. It is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and particles.

2. What is the purpose of QM?

The purpose of QM is to understand and explain the behavior of particles and atoms, which are the building blocks of all matter. It also helps to develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the world around us.

3. How does QM differ from classical mechanics?

QM differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the principles of uncertainty and probability, rather than strictly deterministic laws. It also applies to the behavior of particles at a very small scale, while classical mechanics applies to larger objects.

4. What are some applications of QM?

QM has many practical applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and other electronic devices. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI, and in the study of materials for energy production and storage.

5. Is QM a complete theory?

No, QM is not considered a complete theory. While it has been extensively tested and proven to be accurate, it is not yet able to fully explain certain phenomena, such as gravity. Scientists continue to research and explore the principles of QM in order to develop a more complete understanding of the universe.