1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[QM] spin and orbital angular momentum: most efficient method?

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a spin-1/2 particle whose state is [itex]|\psi \rangle = \psi_+(\textbf r) |+\rangle + \psi_-(\textbf r) |- \rangle[/itex]. Let [itex]\hat{ \textbf S }[/itex] be the spin observable and [itex]\hat{ \textbf L }[/itex] the orbital angular momentum. We assume that
    [tex]\psi_+(\textbf r) = R(r) \left( Y_{0,0}(\theta,\phi) + \frac{1}{\sqrt 3} Y_{1,0}(\theta, \phi) \right),[/tex]
    [tex]\psi_-(\textbf r) = \frac{R(r)}{\sqrt 3} \left( Y_{1,1}(\theta,\phi) - Y_{1,0}(\theta, \phi) \right).[/tex]
    a. What is the normalization condition on R(r)?
    b. What are the possible results of a measurement of [itex]L_z[/itex]? Give the corresponding probabilities.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. is easy enough, the answer is [itex]\langle R | R \rangle = \int_0^{+ \infty} R(r) r^2 \mathrm d r = \frac{1}{2}[/itex].

For b. I think I can solve it, but I want to know whether or not I'm using the most efficient method or even thinking process.
    At first I doubted it a bit. I could find the correct answer (the numerical results are in the back of my book) myself (answer: m=0 with probability 5/6; m=1 with probability 1/6), but my reasoning was a bit hand-wavy, and I don't want that.
    So when in doubt, I returned to the definition: I need to project it and then calculate its modulus. It seems to me that the projector for a given m is [itex]\hat P_m = \sum_{n=|m|+1}^{+\infty} \sum_{l=|m|}^{+\infty} |n,l,m,+ \rangle \langle n,l,m,+| + |n,l,m,- \rangle \langle n,l,m,-| [/itex]
    correct?
    Let's take the case of m=0.
    Looking at this projector and to the specific form of psi+ and psi- it is not hard to see that [itex]\hat P_0 | \psi \rangle = \psi_+ |+ \rangle - \frac{R(r)}{\sqrt 3} Y_{1,0}(\theta,\phi)|-\rangle[/itex] and calculating the norm of this is easy (using normalization conditions for the spherical harmonic functions). This gives the correct answer 5/6.

First of all: do you agree?
    Second of all: is there a conceptually and/or technically easier method, that doesn't involve projectors explicitly (but which still isn't hand-wavy)? Or do you think that this way of solving it is good?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?