QM - stern gerlach and spin

In summary: I don't know of any specific references, but I would recommend looking at a textbook on quantum mechanics or QM for more in-depth coverage of this topic.In summary, the problem asks you to determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific spin state, and refers to the eigenstates of the observable, Sy, in terms of the Sz spin-up and spin-down eigenstates. By diagonalizing the matrix \hat{S}_y, you can find the coefficients that represent the probability of finding the particle in each state.
ihatelolcats

Homework Statement

A beam delivering protons is sent through a stern-gerlach splitter oriented to ask whether the spin is oriented parallel to the y axis. What fraction of protons have spin down with respect to the y axis?
[tex]\chi[/tex]=[tex]\stackrel{1}{\sqrt{17}}[/tex] [tex]\stackrel{4}{i}[/tex]
the 4, i thing is the spinor matrix.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

is it just the expectation value, <Sy>? that doesn't seem right at all, but the textbook is not very helpful
my other idea is that its just 1/2 and I've wasted a couple hours

ps: sorry my latex skill is poor

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is [itex]\chi[/itex]? You just kind of throw it out there without saying what it has to do with the problem.

sorry, it is the state the protons are in

Expand [itex]\chi[/itex] in terms of the eigenstates of Sy.

i'm not sure what you mean by expand in terms of Sy
i have [tex]\chi[/tex] = 1/sqrt(17) ([tex]\stackrel{4}{0}[/tex]) + 1/sqrt(17) ([tex]\stackrel{0}{i}[/tex])

Sy = [tex]\hbar[/tex] /2 [tex]\stackrel{0}{i}[/tex] [tex]\stackrel{-i}{0}[/tex]

where to go from here?
i'm still going to have to take an expectation of something to get a probability...

do you know of a reference or something online i can use to learn how to do this? i have griffiths intro to QM textbook, but like i said it isn't helpful on this. due friday heh.

ihatelolcats said:
i'm not sure what you mean by expand in terms of Sy
i have [tex]\chi[/tex] = 1/sqrt(17) ([tex]\stackrel{4}{0}[/tex]) + 1/sqrt(17) ([tex]\stackrel{0}{i}[/tex])
It's actually

[tex]\chi = \frac{4}{\sqrt{17}} \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{17}} \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where, presumably,

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

is the Sz spin-up eigenstate and

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

is the Sz spin-down eigenstate. You can determine the probability of finding the particle in a spin state by squaring the modulus of the corresponding coefficient. For example, in this case, the probability of finding it in the spin-up state would be 16/17, and in the spin-down state, 1/17.

But this problem is asking you to find the probabilities using the y-axis instead of the z-axis, so what you want to do is find the eigenstates of Sy by diagonalizing the matrix

[tex]\hat{S}_y = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and express [itex]\chi[/itex] as a linear combination of them to determine the coefficients you need. In linear-algebra-speak, you want to change basis from the Sz basis to the Sy basis.

This is effectively what you always do to find probabilities of a measurement. You find the eigenstates of the observable, express the state in terms of those eigenstates, and calculate the probabilities by squaring the modulus of the coefficients.
i'm still going to have to take an expectation of something to get a probability...

do you know of a reference or something online i can use to learn how to do this? i have griffiths intro to QM textbook, but like i said it isn't helpful on this. due friday heh.
An expectation value just gives you an average. It doesn't give you a probability.

wow. thanks so much! :)

1. What is the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment is a physics experiment that demonstrated the quantization of spatial orientation in atomic and molecular systems. It involves passing a beam of particles through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, which causes the particles to be deflected. This deflection is due to the intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of the particles.

2. What is quantum mechanics (QM)?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles, and has been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of the microscopic world.

3. How does the Stern Gerlach experiment demonstrate the concept of spin?

The Stern Gerlach experiment demonstrates the concept of spin by showing that particles have an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, that is quantized. This means that the spin of a particle can only have certain discrete values, rather than being able to take on any value.

4. What are the implications of the Stern Gerlach experiment for quantum mechanics?

The Stern Gerlach experiment has had significant implications for quantum mechanics, as it provided one of the first experimental confirmations of the quantization of physical properties at the atomic level. It also helped to solidify the concept of spin in quantum mechanics and laid the foundation for further studies and applications of quantum mechanics.

5. How has the Stern Gerlach experiment been used in real-world applications?

The Stern Gerlach experiment has been used in various real-world applications, including in the design of magnetic storage devices such as computer hard drives and in the development of quantum technologies. It has also been used in experiments to study and manipulate the properties of atoms and molecules, leading to advancements in fields such as chemistry and materials science.