Studying 1D Particle in Potential V=-Fx: Energy Spectrum & Wavefunctions

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m traveling under the influence of a potential V=-Fx and the task of finding the energy spectrum and wavefunctions. The conversation mentions using the Schrodinger equation and other fundamental quantum relations to solve for the momentum space wave function, which resulted in an exponential solution. However, the lack of boundary conditions makes it difficult to determine the energy spectrum. The conversation also mentions that the potential corresponds to a particle in a constant force field and suggests looking into Airy functions. It is noted that the potential does not confine the particle to a finite region of space, similar to a free particle.
gn0m0n

Homework Statement

This is from an old exam I'm studying from. It goes:

"A particle of mass m is traveling in one dimension under the influence of a potential

V = -Fx

where F is a known constant. Find the energy spectrum and wavefunctions.

Hint: You may want to work in momentum space, but do not have to."

Homework Equations

Schrodinger eqn, other fundamental quantum relations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the momentum space wave function and got an exponential solution ~ exp[(i/hF)(p^3-E*p)], I think, or something much like that. But how can I find an energy spectrum when I don't seem to have any boundary conditions? It does not say anything about, say, an infinite potential for x < 0 or anything.

I also tried using

d<p>/dt= <-dV/dx>

but that didn't seem to help.

It seems like the energy could be anything. Could that be all I need to say? And what about the wave functions?

It just seems like a weird problem. I'm wondering if there could have been a typo or something obvious I'm missing. I can post more of my work if it will help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it. No boundary conditions means no restriction on the allowed energies, similar to the case of a free particle.

The potential corresponds to a particle in a constant force field. Classically, the energy would just allow you to locate where the turning point was. Quantum mechanically, that's where the wave function should go from being oscillatory to decaying. I haven't worked it out, but I'd expect that changing E just shifts the wave function left or right.

Since you have the momentum-space wave function, you can Fourier transform it to obtain the position-space wave function.

You might want to look up Airy functions as well.

vela said:
You got it. No boundary conditions means no restriction on the allowed energies, similar to the case of a free particle.

If V = V(x) = F*x, this seems like a linear potential, not that of a free particle.

Is that not so? If so: a constant force (gradient of potential) would be on the particle, rather like the quantum picture of a particle ascending a hill against a gravitational potential. No?

bjnartowt said:
If V = V(x) = F*x, this seems like a linear potential, not that of a free particle.

Is that not so? If so: a constant force (gradient of potential) would be on the particle, rather like the quantum picture of a particle ascending a hill against a gravitational potential. No?
Yes, you're right. They're different potentials. My point was that you don't get quantized energy levels with V=-Fx because the particle is unbounded, just like you don't get quantized energy levels with V=0 because again the particle is unbounded. The potential in both cases does not confine the particle to a finite region of space.

Oh, I see. You said "SIMILAR" to a free particle. Sorry about that: details are not my strong suit.

1. What is a 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx?

A 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx refers to a one-dimensional system in which a particle is confined to move along a single axis, and is subject to a potential energy function that is linearly dependent on its position along that axis. This type of system is often used as a simplified model to study various physical phenomena.

2. What is the energy spectrum of a 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx?

The energy spectrum of a 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx refers to the set of all possible energy values that the particle can have in this system. These energy values are quantized and can only take on certain discrete values. The exact form of the energy spectrum depends on the specific form of the potential function.

3. How are wavefunctions related to the energy spectrum in a 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx?

In quantum mechanics, the wavefunction of a particle describes the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a particular position and time. In the case of a 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx, the wavefunctions correspond to the allowed energy levels of the system. The shape and properties of the wavefunctions are determined by the potential function and provide information about the behavior of the particle in this system.

4. How is the energy spectrum affected by changes in the potential function for a 1D particle in V=-Fx?

The energy spectrum of a 1D particle in a potential V=-Fx is highly dependent on the form of the potential function. Changes in the potential function, such as changes in the slope or shape of the potential, can result in different energy levels and therefore affect the behavior of the particle in the system. This makes the study of 1D particles in different potential functions useful for understanding how particles behave in various physical scenarios.

5. Can the energy spectrum and wavefunctions of a 1D particle in potential V=-Fx be experimentally observed?

Yes, the energy spectrum and wavefunctions of a 1D particle in potential V=-Fx can be experimentally observed through various techniques such as spectroscopy and tunneling experiments. These experiments involve measuring the energy levels and properties of the particle in the system and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.