1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qn on ratational motion.

1. Aug 20, 2005 #1

Wen

Could someone help me with these problems?

A uniform solid sphere of radius a is placed on top of a stationary spherical dome of radius R, rolls down the dome from rest without slipping. At what height, measured from the bottom, in term of a and R will the solid sphere leave the surface of the dome?

I can only think of resolving mg into mgsinQ and mgcosQ.
    Can anyone give me some clues and hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a good start. At what angle will the velocity vector be above the tangent vector to the sphere?

4. Aug 21, 2005 #3

mukundpa

Homework Helper

1. As the sphere rolls down the domb its center of mass moves on a circular path, requirs centripetal force, How it gets centripetal force?
    2. At the point of leaving, the normal reaction between the two surfaces just becoms zoro.

5. Aug 21, 2005 #4

Wen

sorry but i still couldn't get it.

6. Aug 21, 2005 #5

mukundpa

Homework Helper

ok
    consider the sphere at a position where the radius from the center of the dome to the center of the sphere makes an angle q(theeta) with the vertical, and then draw the forces acting on the sphere.
    The forces are weight of the sphere mg, normal reaction of the dome N along the radius (upward)and friction which is tangential. Now write the equation for forces along radial direction.
    also find the speed of CM of the sphere using energy conservation....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?