Solving an Inelastic Collision with a Spring: Maximum Compression

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one sliding along a frictionless table and the other connected to a spring, colliding with each other. The maximum compression of the spring can be calculated by using conservation of energy and momentum laws. By equating the kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision to the potential energy stored in the spring, the maximum compression can be obtained.
Delzac
here is how it goes,

A block of mass [tex]m_1 = 2.0kg[/tex] slides along a frictionless table with a speed of 10m/s. Directly in front of it, and moving in the same direction, is a block of mass [tex]m_2 = 5.0kg[/tex] moving at 3.0m/s. A massless spring with a spring constant k=1120N/m is attached to the backside of [tex]m_2[/tex]. when the block collide, what is the maximum compression of the spring? Assume that the spring does not bend and always obeys Hooke's law.

Ans: 0.25 m

Let K= spring constant
e= extension

Here's how i tried to do,

i calculate that relative speed of [tex]m_1[/tex] to [tex]m_2[/tex] = 7m/s

then using this value calculate the KE and equate it to E= [tex]\frac{1}{2} k e^2[/tex].

but the ans is wrong.

Then,

i used the conservation of inelastic collision formula,

[tex] m_1 u_1 + m_2 u_2 = m_(1+2) V[/tex]

used the velocity V and calculate the KE and Equate is into E= [tex]\frac{1}{2} k e^2[/tex] but didn't work.

how should i solve this prob?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first step in solving this problem is that your relative appreoach is the right framework to be working in. Remember that because the spring is in contact or rather a part of the problem, conservation of both momentum and energy is applicable. The catch is knowing when each law applies, for instance where momentum is conserved and how energy is lost.

And ah yes, be consistent with your algebraic setup and labeling of variables.

is the collision elastic or inelastic, since the spring is going to be compress

say i take the collision to be elastic :

[tex]v_2f = ( \frac{2m_1}{m_1 + m_2}) v_1i[/tex] given [tex]v_2i[/tex] is zero.

Final Velocity of [tex]m_2[/tex] = 4

using

kinetic energy = elastic potential energy

[tex]\frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2} k e^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2} (5) (4)^2[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2} (1120) e^2[/tex]

the extension i obtain is 0.267m, which is wrong.

what did i do incorretly?

Although, I haven't gone through your complete solution, I can outline an approach.
1)Conservation of energy can be used.
2)Conservation of momentum for the complete system holds.
3)Once the masses collide, both move with a common velocity .
This velocity can be obtained through conservation of momentum.
4)Calculate total initial and final K.E of the system .
The difference is stored as P.E in the spring = 1/2ke^2.

Can you go from here ?

Yup i got the ans thx! :)

You're welcome :)

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total energy of the objects before the collision is not equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is an inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the total energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. What is a spring in the context of an inelastic collision?

In the context of an inelastic collision, a spring is a linear elastic object that can store potential energy when compressed or stretched. In this scenario, the spring is used to absorb some of the kinetic energy from the collision and convert it into potential energy.

4. How is maximum compression calculated in an inelastic collision with a spring?

The maximum compression in an inelastic collision with a spring can be calculated using the equation: x = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (k(m1 + m2)), where x is the maximum compression, m1 and m2 are the masses of the colliding objects, v1 and v2 are their velocities before the collision, and k is the spring constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving an inelastic collision with a spring?

Solving an inelastic collision with a spring is commonly used in engineering and physics, such as in car accidents where the impact is not completely elastic. It is also used in sports, such as when a ball hits a surface and loses some of its kinetic energy due to deformation. Additionally, it is used in the design of safety features, such as airbags, to reduce the impact force on passengers during a collision.