How Is Work Calculated in Physics Problems Involving Inclined Planes?

In summary: In this case, the man is exerting a force of 10 ft.lbs on the block of ice and it is moving 3 ft down the incline. The work done is 30 ft.lbs.
Delzac
hi, here's the Qns,

A 100-lb block of ice slides down an incline 5.0 ft and 3.0 ft high. A man pushes up on the ice parallel to the incline so that is slides down at constant speed. The coefficient of friction between the ice and the incline is 0.10. Find
(a) the force exerted by the man,
(b) the work done by the man on the block,
(c) the work done by gravity on the block,
(d) the work done by the surface of the incline on the block,
(e) the work done by the resultant force on the block, and
(f) the change in kinetic energy of the block.

I can't do Qns (a), (b)(i shall leave the rest alone for now)

What i did was to calculate frictional force 1st,
[tex]F_f = (0.1)(100) = 10 ft.lb[/tex] correct?

and then, i got stuck... the Qns did state the angle at which the incline is tilted, so i was unable to resolve the forces(weight of ice).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Delzac said:
What i did was to calculate frictional force 1st,
[tex]F_f = (0.1)(100) = 10 ft.lb[/tex] correct?
I'm afraid not. Have you drawn a diagram? If not I would recommend doing so. Remember that the normal force always acts perpendicular to the surface. Now is gravity acting perpendicular to the surface? If not you will have to resolve it to find the component that is. Does that make sense?

ohh i see! the angle at which it is inclined is [tex]\sin^-1 (\frac{3}{5})[/tex] doing so allow us to resolve the forces, thx! i got it.

Last edited:
Delzac said:
ohh i see! the angle at which it is inclined is [tex]\sin^-1 \frac{3}{5}[/tex] doing so allow us to resolve the forces, thx! i got it.
No problem, remember for the work questions that the work done is the product of the force and the distance moved in the direction of that force.

What is work?

Work is the measurement of force applied over a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance traveled in the direction of the force.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. It comes in many forms, including kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and chemical energy.

What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of force applied over a distance, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power measures how quickly work is being done.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related. Work is the measure of how much energy is transferred from one object to another, or from one form to another.

How does the conservation of energy apply to work?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that the work done on an object will result in a change in energy, either in the object or its surroundings.