1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QR Decomposition Application

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay so I'm supposed to find the least squares solution of a set of equations, which I can do, but it adds that I must use QR decomposition. I don't really know how to apply QR decomposition to this problem.

Problem: Find the least squares solution of
    [tex]x_1 + x_2 = 4[/tex]
    [tex]2x_1+x_2 = -2[/tex]
    [tex]x_1 - x_2 = 1[/tex]

Use your answer to find the point on the plane spanned by (1,1,2) and (1,-3,1) that is closest to (1,4,3).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2
    Forget the least squares stuff for a moment. Find the QR factorization of A, so we have A = QR. For least squares, you need to solve the equation [itex]A^TAx = A^Tb[/itex] right? So substitute in A = QR to get [itex](QR)^T(QR) = R^TQ^TQR[/itex]. The whole gimmick of orthonormal matrices such as Q is that [itex]Q^TQ = I[/itex], so we have [itex]A^TAx = R^TRx = (QR)^Tb[/itex]. So [itex]R^TRx= R^TQ^Tb[/itex]. sp the least squares equation comes down to [itex]Rx = Q^Tb[/itex]. But R is invertible, so the least squares solution is just

[tex]x = R^{-1}Q^Tb[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook