Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q's about Electrons, protons, and neutrons

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    This might be a dumb question, but in all my years of chemistry and physics studies I have never gotten an explanation of where electrons and protons get their charges from. I don't know if this is the right forum, maybe one of the physics forums might be better? Maybe a physical chemist can answer this question? why do protons and electrons have +/-1.6x10^-19 C of charge and neutrons have 0 charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The inner quark structure of the 2 baryons is of such nature that the charges add to +1e for proton and 0 for neutron. The electron has the charge -1e and is a fundamental particle.

You'll have to understand that experiments gave those results and from then on it was up to the theoretical physicists to come up with the best model to account for those experimental results. The SM is the best model so far for elementary particles & interactions.

Daniel.

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moving this to Particles ....

Gravenewworld : a physical chemist can not answer this question. It belongs in the realm of Nuclear/Particle Physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?