1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qsp Calculations

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    Calculate the ion product to determine if a precipitate will form when 125 mL .00500 M sodium chloride is mixed with 125 mL .00100 M silver nitrate solution.

NaCl + AgNO3 -> NaNO3 + AgCl

Net ionic equation = 2AgCl -> 2Ag + Cl2

[Ag+] before = .00100 after = .00050
    [Cl-] before = .00500 after = .00250

My question was about the Qsp. Would the Qsp = (.00050)(.00250) or Qsp = (.00050)^2(.00250) I don't understand which co-efficients to look at, the one in the equation or the one in the net-ionic equation. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2
    Your question is very confusing.
    The 1st and 2nd equation are different...as well flipped in a way...

you are saying one of the products is Chlorine gas... and the reactant is AgCl, which is a product of the first equation.
    the netionic eq qould be Cl(-) + Ag(+) --> AgCl, and i dont know why you are trying to balance it out.
    Remember its a solution, so you can have Cl(-) ions by themselves.

Are you trying to find the reaction quotient??
  4. Feb 16, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

It is not a correct net ionic equation for this reaction. If you mix soluble silver salt with chlorides, silver chloride precipitates.
  5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    why is it Cl(-) + Ag(+) --> AgCl ? don't you have to balance it out? i asked my teacher and she said to use the co-efficient from the net ionic equation
  6. Feb 18, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

And Cl- + Ag+ --> AgCl is the balanced net ionic equation of AgCl precipitation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?