Quad 741 op amp as unity gain amp help needed

In summary, the conversation is about using a quad 741 op amp (LM348n) as unity gain amps. The person is having trouble getting the correct results and is asking for help with identifying the chip and wiring configuration. There are also questions about the pinout, decoupling capacitors, power supply voltages, input voltage range, and output load. The issue is resolved when the person tries a new chip and everything works fine.
vbsaltydog
I have single 741 op amps running as unity gain amps and they work fine but when I tried to use a quad 741 op amp (LM348n) with the same config as the single 741 (short the inverting input to the Vout), the results are not correct.

Can anyone provide a chip id and wiring config for a quad 741 op amp so that the 4 op amps run as unity gain amps?

Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
vbsaltydog said:
I have single 741 op amps running as unity gain amps and they work fine but when I tried to use a quad 741 op amp (LM348n) with the same config as the single 741 (short the inverting input to the Vout), the results are not correct.

Can anyone provide a chip id and wiring config for a quad 741 op amp so that the 4 op amps run as unity gain amps?

Thanks for your help.

Can you describe what happens? Are you sure you have the pinout correct? Do you have decoupling capacitors across from each power supply pin to ground? What power supply voltages are you using, and what is the voltage range of the input voltages? What load are the outputs driving?

I just soldered up a new chip and repeated my wiring and everything works fine. I must have burned my previous chip at some point.

Thanks for your reply.

1. What is a Quad 741 op amp?

A Quad 741 op amp is a type of operational amplifier that contains four individual 741 op amps in a single package. This allows for more compact and efficient circuit designs.

2. What is the purpose of using a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier?

The purpose of using a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier is to provide a stable and accurate output signal that is equal to the input signal. This is useful for applications where amplification is not needed, but a buffer is necessary to prevent signal distortion.

3. How do I set up a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier?

To set up a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier, you will need to connect the positive and negative power supply pins to the appropriate voltage sources. Then, connect the input signal to the non-inverting input pin and the output load to the output pin. Finally, connect a feedback resistor between the output and inverting input pins to stabilize the amplifier.

4. What are the advantages of using a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier?

Some advantages of using a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier include low input and output impedance, high gain bandwidth, and low noise. Additionally, using a Quad 741 op amp can save space and reduce costs compared to using multiple individual op amps.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier?

One limitation of using a Quad 741 op amp as a unity gain amplifier is that it has a limited output current capability, which may not be suitable for high power applications. Additionally, the slew rate (rate of change in output voltage) of the op amp may be limited, resulting in distortion for high-frequency signals.